Remora

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

They will do the job, but from what I've read, you will find other hang-ons out there that will skim a bit better. I have an Aqua C remora nano that was on a 24gal aquapod that was quite sufficient for my bioload and I am now going to use it on a 10 gal. I personally see no reason to upgrade or change from it in my case. What size tank do you plan to put it on and which model do you have? :)

AquaC

I have an AquaC Remora Pro. It pulls about an inch worth (in the collection cup) of deep green skim out of the water every 3-4 days. I take the cup out and clean the riser tube every time I dump the skimmate because I have heard that the heavy buildup retards bubbles climbing the tube.

I guess its working, though I dont have much to compate it to. I would prefer a nice cone skimmer but was limited financially at time of purchase. I spent 100 on mine, and I think its been worth it, though I will replace it with a better skimmer one day when i can afford it. I know that the guy on here who is the skimmer expert has a very low opinion of Remoras, I believe I recall he called them crap or something similar...

Not sure if i helped,

Ichthys

Last edited:
found it

correction, he didnt say it was crap, mediocre crap to be exact lol..

one post...
"not a snowball's chance in hell...
truely a pathetic skimmer.
loud, microbubbles, mediocre performance, ugly mag in the display... BLAH!!!"

and another post....
"DONT buy an aqua c skimmer...
pathetic, mediocre crap... "

I used to have one on my 58 gallon breeder and I loved it. That being said, I am a HUGE fan of ozone so I don't know how it performs without it.

It all depends on what your needs are and what you are keeping in the tank. For a softie only tank it should work just fine. On an sps tank, that is a whole differet game.

You haven't really told us enough about your system to give a fair judgement.

I would get a psk 75 eshopps skimmer hang on or in sump what ever suits best. There inexpensive and i have seen both pull black dry skimate. The bubble magus 3.5 and swc 120 cone would be my next choices. Im going to get the 120 sometime in the future.

I understand the convenience factor it may work for you but in my opinion i would spend the money on a better skimmer. I have owned a remora skimmer, they work but not to my expectations. If you need any help with the system let me know.

if you already have it I would just use it it is mainly a FO tank with a few soft corals you do not need anything all the great and or expencive just use what you have I own one I have no issues with it I do not like hat it does not pull thick dark skimmate but it still keep the water clear thats all I care about

the remora is utter shyte...

the best you can do is put a larger pump on it...but as i mention, then your looking at this hanus larger pump in your display powering this lame -ass skimmer...it's a lose/lose scenario if you ask me.

sell it and buy a CPR bakpak.... i happen to have a used one for you that has been mesh modded and ready to go... $50
at least double if not triple the power.

or if you can, add a sump and get a real skimmer... i have a 20g with a SWC 120 cone skimmer and love it.

Last edited:
The funny thing

The funny thing about skimmers is that what is mediocre today would have been awesome 5 years ago. I bet one day people will be talking about the SWC cones and talking about what poop they are compared to the latest greatest.
There are people in this hobby that run nice reef tanks with old skimmers, canister filters, tap water and incandescent lighting. Point is, you dont always have to have what the cutting edge elite tout as must have equipment. If you can afford it, sure get a nice upgraded skimmer, but if money is tight, then that remora will probably do an adequate job on your FO tank.
just my 2 cents
Ichthys

if you can sell the remora for $60-75 dollars (the going used price)
and buy a skimmer for $50 that is moddable to at least double the power then why not do it?? doesnt have to be 'spensive.
and just to clarify, i could care less if he bought the one i offered, there's plenty of used bakpaks out there.
hell, i'll give you the damn bakpak, just because it's wrong to let people use remora skimmers if it can be helped... :)

Last edited:
The funny thing about skimmers is that what is mediocre today would have been awesome 5 years ago...

Haha!! I totally agree!! That's why I'm not changing my aqua c nano skimmer that I will use on my 10 gal. It did the trick for me in the 24 gal so it definately will do the same in a 10 gal! I think good husbandry goes a long way too though. I keep a pretty clean tank so anything would probably work :p

I do agree that the CPR with the mesh mod should out perform the standard Remora. If you could get rid of yours and get that one for $50 then I would definitely do that.

I tried several larger pumps with no luck, these are just limited but work fine for really small tanks. They are just over rated for reef tanks IMO!

the remora is utter shyte...

the best you can do is put a larger pump on it...but as i mention, then your looking at this hanus larger pump in your display powering this lame -ass skimmer...it's a lose/lose scenario if you ask me.

sell it and buy a CPR bakpak.... i happen to have a used one for you that has been mesh modded and ready to go... $50
at least double if not triple the power.

or if you can, add a sump and get a real skimmer... i have a 20g with a SWC 120 cone skimmer and love it.

Back