Removing Backing on Tank without Harming Fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefWantabe

Hello friends,

I have a 75 gallon drilled tank and it has a black backing on the back glass that for the life of me I can not scrape off. I am about 3/4 done scrapping (3 days and counting) and countless razor blades later. Is there anything else I can use to clean this off without harming the fish and corals?

The reason I am taking it off is there was about half of it was already pealing off, but the rest, OMG its too hard to remove. I want to try a blue background.

Thanks,

Many more razors and muscle. I really wouldn't suggest any chemicals. Although, if you were going to use a chemical, there's that orange paint stripper that's a thick paste. It might be more safe, since it's thick and not as likely to put off as many fumes. If you did decide to try it, I'd do a small portion first, and use small amounts of the chemical. I'd still suggest running a lot of carbon, during and after wards.

If you are going to color it again did you consider trying sandpaper? You could start with 80 grit and work your way to 320-400. That might help the new color stick.

820909539063lg.jpg

Back