Removing coralline algae from front glass of tank...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rob in Puyallup

I'm loving my tank, been up and running since March with really, no problems... All is very pretty, I could just sit in front of it, forgetting the Tv...

I do have on problem, I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things, but how can I safely remove the coralline algae from the front glass of the aquarium? The algae sponge won't remove it, though my finger nail will. Unfortunately, my nails are kept quite short, so they're not always available for the job.

Is a metal single edge razor safe to use in a reef tank?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

(Wanted to insert a pic but they're way too big...)

Hey Rob
Yes you can use a single edge rasor blade. I use a plastic handled scraper. I use a Titan mini rasor scraper.

I use a Kent scraper with an expandable handle. The expandable handle allows me to scrape while keeping my hand out of the water.
I believe some of the lfs in the area carry them. OBD comes to mind.

I use a Kent scraper with an expandable handle. The expandable handle allows me to scrape while keeping my hand out of the water.
I believe some of the lfs in the area carry them. OBD comes to mind.

they have metal blades for these too which is easier to scrape the coraline with than the standard plastic ones that they come with.

they have metal blades for these too which is easier to scrape the coraline with than the standard plastic ones that they come with.
I ordered mine with the metal blades. I wouldn't want to attempt it with the plastic blades.

Yes we have the complete line of Aquablade scrapers from Continuum Aquatics. These are similar to the old Kent scrapers mentioned earlier. They have a solid fiberglass handles and injection molded heads so they can't fall off over time. The solid shaft makes it nice so there is no dribbling of water after use like with a hollow shaft. They come with either either stainless steel blades or plastic ones for acrylic aquariums. There are several different lengths available and all in stock. Also the replacement blades are reverse compatible for older models of scrapers so those of you with old scrapers but can't find the blades anymore don't have that problem any longer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Be careful of the caulked seams of your aquarium with those razor blades, I use them too but I just felt like somebody had to say that.

any suggestions for acrylic tanks? Mine is thick on the bottom and the algae scrubber from mighty magnets is not doing the trick...kent scraper isn't long enough..and really don't want to use a razor blade...

any suggestions for acrylic tanks? Mine is thick on the bottom and the algae scrubber from mighty magnets is not doing the trick...kent scraper isn't long enough..and really don't want to use a razor blade...

Nope you dont want to use a razor blade.
Your just going to have to go swimming!

Nice. I have a tiger shark. Works great. Yes, be careful of the seams. Any stainless blade will work. Just remember most razor blades like stanley, come with an oil coating on them. You may wanna use some rubbing alcohal and wipe that off.

Hey Kirk. The Aquablades have a 35" model and they have the Cyan Plastic blade for use on acrylic aquariums. Continuum Aquatics | AquaBlade

Back