removing scratches on inside of functioning acrylic reef tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

toolz2

So has anyone successfully sanded out scratches Inside there tank with coral and fish. Im assuming its not toxic but would like others thoughts

toolz,

i have..

you can use MicroMesh sandpaper from www.rockler.com

start with 6000 grit..if the scratches are deeper then increase the grit to say 8000..just keep in mind the higher the grit the more acrylic you are removing/shaving off from the inside.

toolz,

i have..

start with 6000 grit..if the scratches are deeper then increase the grit to say 8000..just keep in mind the higher the grit the more acrylic you are removing/shaving off from the inside.

would you do this with fish and corals in the tank?

yup..already have done it with no effects...I did ask Jason at CFI is this would hurt fish/corals...as you know I have a huge collection of large angels and I didnt want anything to happen to them..

keep in mind you will have to do this in stages as you need to scrub like crazy to get them buffed out..but it can be done...It needs to be done in small stages over period of weeks..i still have the left side of the tank to do..

Marty,

you're welcome :D

I was surprised as well..but after i did a little section (after 25 mins of scrubbing) I let things settle for a couple of days and after no effects on my fish, i continued..

toolz,

i have..

The higher the number on the sandpaper/mesh the smaller the particles. So it would be the other way around. 6000 grit is courser than 8000 grit.
Hate to see you going the wrong direction. This is a timely, laborious procedure.

Good luck

I have a kit made to be used with a tiger shark magnet that comes with two complete sets of sandpaper and is reusable, if anyone is interested.

How much you want for the kit. But I need to buy a great white cause my tiger shark doesn't hold well to 3/4 acrylic

trido and toolz,

I hate to say this, but pls do this transaction via PM.

again, sorry to have to say this.

toolz,

i have..

Tap Plastics also carries this real fine grit paper.

Back