Repairing or Recharging chillers?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fragman

I have two chillers on my newly set up 350 gallon system and they both came on last week and ran but the water didn't get any cooler. When I took the cover off of the 1/2 hourse chiller nothing was cool at all indicating to me that the refrigerant or something just wasn't doing the job any more. Maybe it leaked out??? On the smaller 1/5 horse Aqualogic unit, it at least made the lines get cool and warm during the cover off test. However after 30 minutes it didn't bring the temperature of 3 gallons of water down even 1 degree. The motors and fans work but no cooling. Hmmmmm They seem fixable to me.

Do any of you know who would or could service these things?

I broke out my other 1/3 HP spare chiller today and fired it up, at least it's working.

Summer is a comming! Got to get em fixed.

Paul

Paul, I'd be interested to know who works on chillers as well.
I have a Prime 1/3hp chiller that stopped working a couple years ago.
I haven't heard of anyone who works on them.

I would check with a local refrigeration repair company, that's what we do when we have to repair the refrigeration units we use to run our thermal chambers at work. I would think a chiller would be a pretty simple fix for those guys. I myself have never had a chiller, however it would seem that they should be able to be recharged with refrigerant if that's the problem. :noidea: Good luck!

Last edited:
I saw a thread similar to this on a different forum.
A guy had a chiller that produced no cold water. He found a local refrigeration repair company and they told him it would be a couple hundred to fix it.
Seems that someone who would repair chillers would have a smaller fee.

Hmm I suppose it depends on what the issue/damage is but for a recharge 300 is what we pay to have someone come out to our location and recharge/top off our 2 huge refrigeration units. As for a SW chiller repair guy I am clueless?

Hmm I suppose it depends on what the issue/damage is but for a recharge 300 is what we pay to have someone come out to our location and recharge/top off our 2 huge refrigeration units. As for a SW chiller repair guy I am clueless?

I think I would be in for 2-3 hundred for a recharge on my home heat pump, but I would like to think that a small compressor on a chiller would be a fraction of that.

i can do service work and can get them charged if needed. im a local 66 hvac worker. let me know all problems in refrigeration are 80% electrical 20% mechanical. but i can for sure troubleshoot the problem and get it fixed 9/10 times. but remember some problems will cost more to fix than buying a new one. if u drop by ill take a look at it and trouble shoot it. just send me a pm.

Call around to HVAC companies too. A lot of residential small guys know all about AC and its the same type of system.

I will arrange to take my chillers over to him for diagnosing this week end. I believe the real issue is going to be what does it cost to fix these things? None of us are going to pay $300 to fix a used Aquarium chiller. Not when brand new ones are $350 to $700. I'm hoping that his fees will be reasonable and he will have a nice little side business :) Obviously there is a need for this service out there.

Paul

I will arrange to take my chillers over to him for diagnosing this week end. I believe the real issue is going to be what does it cost to fix these things? None of us are going to pay $300 to fix a used Aquarium chiller. Not when brand new ones are $350 to $700. I'm hoping that his fees will be reasonable and he will have a nice little side business :) Obviously there is a need for this service out there.

Paul

+1
I have one that needs looked at also so I will be interested in seeing how this shakes out.:)

i will have the equipment to fix chillers for 2 more days so if u need 1 looked at mon or tues will be the days. let me know i get home from work at 430pm

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but, Senji, you are HVAC guy? Our Gas Furnace died this winter and I will be looking to replace it before next winter. Do you do that kind of work?

Nick diagnosed both of my chillers and found that the regrigerant had leaked out of them. This was easily fixed by tightening the valve stem on the smaller one and recharging it. :) On the larger chiller it is still a bit of a mystery and I'll need to keep my eye on it as the leak was not as evident. Nick recharged it and so far after 3 days its still holding pressure and appears to be just fine. Time will tell. Nick charged me a very reasonable diagnosis fee and recharging fee and I am very happy with his efforts.

Thanks Again Nick!

Back