Replacement for OPT-3000?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gazbo

Hello everyone I was doing some maintance on the tank since my corals are showing some stress but thats another issue when I fired up my protein skimmer its dumping alot of bubbles out of the outlet back into the sump and I think its because pump is not as strong anymore tried to clean it and still wont allow the bubbles to reach the collection cup.

So the big question is do I replace the pump which is a Octopus 3000 (750gph) with the same pump or is there a better pump that has same set up since the existing one has a union connection coming off the top to the skimmer. there isnt alot of room in the sump to change to pipe configuration.

any help or suggestions welcomed

Thanks

If you just cleaned it give it some time to skim up/film up. Cleaning them can cause them to stop producing move for a little while, kind of like when it was new. Also, what did you clean it with?

If you just cleaned it give it some time to skim up/film up. Cleaning them can cause them to stop producing move for a little while, kind of like when it was new. Also, what did you clean it with?

Well the pump the is a OPT but the skimmer it self is a SWC not sure if thats a reef octopus brand or what but came with tank. I just used a soft brush and cleaned the pump out and used the water I changed to rinse it out it wasn't that dirty some algae film. the skimmer done this one time before and dont know how it fixed itself I was plugging it in & out and moving it around for about 3 days until it just magically worked again I tried letting it run for long period of time overnight with no change and it would dump so many bubbles in the DT I would have to unplugg it.

Best advice I can give at this time is to let it run. Doesn't take much for a skimmer to stop skimming. Oil from your skin from putting your hands in the tank can stop them from skimming. Just need to find a way to control the bubbles entering the tank.

Just give it some time. My skimmer does the same thing after i clean it. Its like starting it new.

Yeah your right its working fine now just haven't had it do it other than one time and I clean the skimmer with every water change

Back