Reseed (dead) live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kylehustonvw

its a new year and I want to get back into reefs. I have roughly 90 lbs of Live rock that is sitting in a container. I have not taken very good care of it and left it sitting after my tank went down last year. I am looking to reseed this live rock and use it for a 30 gallon and 50 gallon tank. What is the best way to reseed all of this? I was thinking of filling up both of the tanks with as much live rock that can fit and adding a couple pieces of (live rock I buy somewhere) to each of the tanks and let them circulate for a couple months? Is there a faster way?? Also to minimize expenses would it be cheaper to just introduce crushed rock, live sand and whatever is sitting at the bottom of someones sump or tank to my tanks to start the process? Any information is appreciated..

I think your plan A is the way to go. I'd just give it time to cycle then start adding livestock.

I agree with vikubz go with plan A and give it time. that will also give you plenty of time to play with the rock work and come up with what you really like... before you have a tank full of corals

Thank you for replys, I feel like it will take forever just introducing a piece or two of live rock to the roughly 100 lbs i have. I was told the most beneficial bacteria's and organisms gather at the bottom of a sump or tank. My idea was to go to a LFS and see if they would sell me a few scoops of broken up live rock and all the good stuff they have at the bottom of their sump or tank and introduce that to the tank. I really dont want to go buy more live rock when I already have too much on hand. Maybe I can even find a member on the forum that has some they would donate. Do you think this would work??

Back