Retro fitting a Par38 bulb

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

Hey everyone. We have a newly acquired Solana-like 34g tank with a "disco ball" 150w MH pendant. Has anyone seen one of these pendants with a Par38 LED bulb retro-fitted into the ball? Would a single Par38 bulb be enough for a 20"x20"x20" cube? We are just thinking of heat build up from the MH in our master bedroom as well as water temp, bulb replacement cost and energy consumption. Here is a pic of the set-up if it helps anyone. TIA for your input.

301658525_photobucket_26227_.jpg

Eric,

I don't think a Par38 would be enough. You could possibly make it work with lower light LPS and Polyps which is what we had in our bedroom tank. As far as the retrofit just remove the sockets from the power wire and replace it with a socket. Should be a standard 3 wire installation. I would have to look at it some more but the retrofit should be a piece of cake.

Hey Eric, agree with Seth on probably not being enough light with only a Par-38 and also a simple retrofit. So here is my idea : buy the 50/50 led Par 38 and mod/manufacture inside of reflector places for at least 4 additional 3w blue led's with optics on separate power supply . I would think this would provide enough light for zoas & lps and also give you dawn/dusk control.

Cheers, Todd

Your attractive 150w halide would light the little tank very well and not add too much heat to the room. Why spend money fixing something that most likely works.

Kewl factor Mike, just kewl factor.:spy: I hear ya though and we will probably not do anything. It is working well and like you said there is not much heat from the 150 at all. I was just think a round cut heatsink with airflow holes machined into it and LED stars mounted between the holes and a cooling fan mounted above pulling air up through the sink and out the top vent holes in the disco ball would have a great kewl factor. It seems there a lots of people are out there looking for something to retro into the pendant and there is simply nothing out there that I can find.

The best retro on a disco ball is the addition of disco music.
Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother,
You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Feel the city breakin' and everybody shakin', people,
Stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive.

Back