return line siphon question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

HUNTER01975

redneck reefer
so i am to the point of hooking up my tank and sump down in the garage to test things out and make sure things are working right..

I built the return side and tried the drilling holes in it to control the back siphon and it did not really work that well being that it was spraying water out the hole close to the surface and causing lots of splashing out of the tank. I tried many different spots on the return to see if they would work and even tried drilling hole at angle all failed to be functional.
So I went to the hardware store and bought a check valve. I glued it up last night and it has been sitting over night and plan on hooking it up tonight.

now that I have wasted my time and money i thought i would run it by you all and see what you had to say..

thanks...

Wouldnt trust a check valve. Lil critters, salt, loose pieces of sand, algae, these can all stop your check from functioning properly. An idea you can do, i dont know what your return looks like, is on the top of you 90°, drill a hole big enough to get a small airline tubing to glue in, run the hose into your overflow box so the bubbles arent in your display. If theres a splashing issue, you can ziptie a piece of filter pad or sponge to the end. Ahould keep the splashing down. How big of a hole did you drill? Doesnt have to be very big.

I wouldnt trust a check valve.
You should place the return line just deep enough in the DT so when power goes out you will have enough room in the sump to allow for that amount of water coming out of the DT to flow into your sump safely with out overflowing the sump

ok so I have a hang on the back cpr cs90 over flow. Will that make a difference?

so when the return pump is running it will be pushing water threw the installed air hose over to the over flow and back to the sump. And then when the pump shuts down the hose then will act as a vent for the return breaking the suction?

can someone post some pics of there's so I can get a idea in my brain.. I really dont want to drill a hole again after buying more fittings and rebuilding it.

+1 on peppies coment. this is how i have my tank set up aswell. raise the locklines to just under the surface. this wat u get great surface agitation for gas exchange and will break the siphon when power goes out. best way to test is just unplug the tank and see what happens. if sump overflows raise the return lines more.

Back