return pump and chiller question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tricksterya

currently running a rio pump that i want to say is rated for 600 gph, noise is proplem number one. problem two i just hooked up a cl-650 chiller and the flow dropped to almost nothing. only one pump for return and is it good bad or doesnt matter to have the chiller inlime with the return? should i have a seperate pump? and single built in overflow on a 90 gal tank. i have read the eheim 1262 or 3000+ are the best bang for the buck as far as getting reliable and quiet. inputs please. want to make sure i still have good flow but not too much that the return cant keep up.

Error on the side of larger pump and put a gate valve on it. I would run a second pump for the chiller as I don't like to have everything inline and rather more modular. If the chiller needs to be replaced you would need to mess with your return, etc.

To get the best out of your chiller, get a separate pump that will give you the recommended flow.
I'd look into a dc pump for a return.

so seperate pump sounds like the census but that just means i take a suction from my sump and return it to my sump? and the cooler is rated i want to say for 550-1000gph...

For the chiller I had the intake side of the chiller pump on my sump and the return to the tank.

I would try and avoid the rio if possible. My personal experience is they never really put out what they say the do. Eheim was always good from people i've talked to that use them.

Stay away from Rio pumps.
Part of the issue you're having with the CL650 is that the chiller restricts flow pretty heavily. IIRC it closes up to 3/4 of inch internally in the coil.
Use a dedicated pump that can handle the back pressure, and run the water from the sump to the tank.

Looks like i wasn't alone with bad experiences on the rio's. good advice from Maxx.

Back