Return pump for my Oceanic 58

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rainydave

Chimp in Space......
Hi All,

I am currently running a RIO 12HF pump from my 20 long sump. Unfortunately, this pump is a bit loud at times. The tank is in my home office and I spend quite a bit of time on the phone so the noise can be troublesome at times.

Does anyone have recommendations on what return pump would be quieter and offer the flow needed?

I should add the pump needs to be submersible as I don't have room in the stand for an external pump.

Maybe look into an Eheim pump. They seem to be a really popular and reliable pump on the forum. I've never personally used one, but have been convinced enough here by the members to buy one whenever I get another tank set up. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

All good pumps above, you should look into the smallest Water Blaster pump @ about 135.00 and comes with a three year warranty.

Good Luck:)

I run a Tunze Silence pump in my 58G. It's has an adjustable output but since I can't remember the model number I can't tell you the min and max volumes. I'll look in the box tomorrow and update the thread. It definitely lives up to its name though. Submersible and very quiet.

Mike

Thanks for the replies.

I've been looking at the Eheim 1260 and the Sicce Syncra 3.0 (Supposedly the same design as the Tunze Silent).

Mike - did you get a chance to check on which Tunze you're running and are you satisfied with the flow?

When I re-setup my 58 I put my old Mag 7 back on it. It was "quiet" for a week or two. Then it started to sound like it was grinding rocks.

While down at OBD for the PSAS meeting I picked up an Eheim 1262. This pump is amazing quiet. I'm a happy camper again!

When I took the Mag 7 out I find it had a loose screw on the impeller cover. I'm assuming that was the cause of it's less than quiet operation.

When I re-setup my 58 I put my old Mag 7 back on it. It was "quiet" for a week or two. Then it started to sound like it was grinding rocks.

While down at OBD for the PSAS meeting I picked up an Eheim 1262. This pump is amazing quiet. I'm a happy camper again!

When I took the Mag 7 out I find it had a loose screw on the impeller cover. I'm assuming that was the cause of it's less than quiet operation.

I've been using a 1262 for several years and I love it.
They are great pumps.

I am about to buy the Waveline DC pump for my own tank. I do not know how the noise compares to the bubbleblaster, Eheim or Sicce, but I know its more quiet than a mag pump.

ehiem just make great pumps all around. both my return pumps are ehiem a 1262 in the 90g and 40g sump (display). and the 1250 in my 20g with 60g sump (frag system). both silent and powerful.

Last edited:
I know those are all submersible, but I really love my REEFLO BLOHOLE, this thing is silent, and lots of power. Been debating on moving up to the 2750, currently running the 1450.

I know those are all submersible, but I really love my REEFLO BLOHOLE, this thing is silent, and lots of power. Been debating on moving up to the 2750, currently running the 1450.

What setting are you running it on?

Back