return pump help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

loohunter

Fish lover
i need some help selecting a pump for my return. it is basicly an 180 gallon tank( it is 1 inch wider and taller) with a 125 gallon sump. i will have 6000 gph on closed loop so i think i am covered for flow. i want to partition part of the sump off for a dsb/refugium, so i am asuming flow should be fairly low through the sump. the pump on my skimmer is a pcx 70 high pressure pump. so it is pushing around 1500 gph. i am looking for quiet, reliability and low energy consumption in that order. i like external over sub. do to heat probs. how ever iam open to sub pumps.

any thoughts/ opinions

thanks krish i have been waiting for a response from you and thanks for the link. now the next question: any one have a pump with these specs for sale?

If you can deal with a little sound, get the Sequence UNO series, Tarpon or the Wahoo would be efficient, & move a ton of water! I will run my chiller off mine, return the sump & feed the carbon/phos reactor LOL
Nothing wrong with the larger EHEIM 1262 but have issues with the panwords, heat & some were loud. I vote Eheim Or the Wahoo:D
THe sequence Dart isn't pressure rated & high volume, nopt designed to be a return, so watch that.

Noise was the issue with Panworld by me not heat, but the mod took care of the noise. As far Sequence pumps, a snapper would work well along with your suggestions Scoot.

thanks guys iam leaning towards the eheim, i want to see if anyone has something laying around before i buy new

How much heat are we talking about folks? On a 1000gph pump, can't be that much can it? I would think that with such a big sump there would be plenty of natural cooling from evaporation, or at least nothing a fan couldn't handle. Just my opinion - take it with a grain of salt. Is that the right expression? .. anyways .. good luck!

i was sort of wondering that as well' i think it would be more of an issue in the summer time when the tank seems to climb a couple degrees in the day and never quite cool back down, i guess a chiller would take care of that

Back