Return pump. in sump pump or external

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

realranger

I am setting up a 150 reef tank with fish and some soft corals for now until I can spring for a really good lighting system. Question is, I purchased an external return pump (PAN WORLD 150PS MAGNETIC WATER PUMP). IT cost around $280.00. It was recommended by the tech at marine depot. I was in a hurry to save my live stock in the old damaged tank so I went with the recommendation. I am now thinking that perhaps I should have gone with a submersable return pump in the sump. just seems easier/cleaner although I realize there is a heat issue depending upon the pump used. I would like your thoughts and also recommendations on the pump I bought and submersables you guys would recommend, with the cost. The sump/refugium/protein skimmer is PRECISION MARINE R30 REFUGIUM W/ RL175 PROTEIN.

I have a submersible on my tank currently (might change here soon) and its true there is a lot of heat added to the system due to it being submersible vs external, so much so that i could run heaterless for the majority of the year except that my house is on the cold side. I'd recommend external, much easier to quiet down, mine is so freaking loud...

Haven't heard of the brand, but I'm kind of a noob. I just looked on marine depot, and 28' head pressure is pretty impressive.

I use an Eheim 1262 submersible on my system. Its 950 or so GPH, 650-700 GPH at head pressure. You can see my tank setup in my sig.

I guess if you have room and have plumbed in the external, it is probably a better set up, since it will add less heat to the system. I got my submersible for ease of plumbing and for space (since it fits in the sump.)

I see that pump draws 180 watts. That seems like a pretty high power consumption rate. So will cost a bit more to run. Tried to find my pump, but no longer listed on marinedepot. I think it was about 80W though.

Anyway, looks like your pump has some good reviews.

rob

I think it is a choice what is better for your system both have advantages and dis-advantages I ran both internal and external I never had a heat issue and this was in Las Vegas NV. for internal I would run a Laguna 1500 I am assuming your sump is 30 gallons. but for what you have it will work just more work to maintenance the pump these are Items you want to clean from time to time at least 3-4 times a year. my 240 I am working on I am going external with a reeflo dart.

on my 29 I have a enhiem 1262 on it with a skimmer pump and 2 maxi jets and a koralia along with a 250m/h over the top and I do not have heat issues my heater is always one until the mh comes on then it shuts off for a while. both are good ways to go I look at it as more of a personal preference as opposed to a whats better for a system other then the energy bill external will use more watts which means higher power bill.

I've used both internal and external and either way will work.
Since you have already bought the pump, I'd use it.
It's a good dependable brand.
I would only use a submersable if I didn't have the room for a external pump. One less heat source in the water, easier to see and work on.

I agree with Finn. PanWorld pumps are pretty rock solid and you've already got it. Assuming that space is not an issue I don't see any advantage to using a submersible return pump. With a 150 gallon system, only the crappiest of submersible pumps are going to give you significant heat issues. If you are dead set on a submersible, then the Eheim pumps are really good choices with the only drawback to them being that their biggest one, the 1262, only does 900 gph; but it's a quiet 900 gph. A 900 gph pump should suffice for your system though. It will give good dwell time in the sump for your filtration equipment to do their things. So take the plunge, wipe the sweat from your brow and drill a big bulkhead hole in the side of that expensive sump.

Back