Rewiring house, how to keep tanks running?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ratfish

So its finally come down to rewiring the house.

Not for my aquariums, but for the fact I don't trust my aluminum wiring anymore (older house). Had one outlet almost short, made the wall hot. don't want to think of what could have happened. Anyway, that's the back story, so the deal is what are my options for keeping them running for 3-7 days while electricians re-wire the house?

can I have a generator run 24/7 or close to it? That's what I'm thinking, but wanted to hear if anyone else has any generator-free options.

Heat and pump are a must (I have a sump on both systems), that I know. But how long can I go without lights for corals? longest I've gone was 3 days to deal with cyanno.

This project is a ways out, weeks maybe, but my wife is set on getting this fixed, don't need another scare or actual problem (or fire).

When my electrician rewired (before I knew how to wire houses) the main panel in my house he hot wired an electrical cord straight to the main wires off the street pole so he could do his work. It wasn't GFCI protected and didn't have a circuit breaker but he didn't think much of it. I'm sure your electricians will need electricity to cut new holes and charge up their screw guns and could figure out a way to keep power to the refrigerator and your tanks while they do the job. Its unlikely that they will tear out the main breaker panel of the house for the whole time and there will still be access to breakers while its there.

I know I could keep you powered up if I were rewiring your house.

+1 Just completed a 75% re-wire (aluminum replacement) of our 1965 Beach House and only had the Main Breaker off for a few hours here and there while connecting new/replacement circuit runs. I'm sure that your contractor will do something similar.

Cheers, Todd

Good to know. Thanks for the reassurance, so far the contractors we've contacted are helpful and optimistic there are options. This is going to be a big project, Wife, cats and I will be staying at inlaws for a few days. At least I can finally get a dedicated circuit for my big tank. hasn't been a big concern since I went to LEDs. Don't think I have anything that demands more than a few amps. But I won't be limited to what I have now. And don't have to worry about shorts! When aluminum gets hot, it gets hot! Scary stuff.

Deep cycle batteries and an inverter or two?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Back