ricordea mushrooms

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

super easy.

take a clean blade and slice it in place. try to get a piece of mouth in each 1/2 or quarter(depending on how big it is) and put it back and let it heal on its own.

this is the best way IMO as you dont have to deal with reattaching it ta anything as each part will already be attached.

if it is a free floating polyp you can do the same thing then just put the parts in a little tupperware container riddled with holes and filled with rubble until they attach to the rubble.

thanks for the input! I will give it a shot doing it that way. I fragged my toadstool that way and it worked well. I cut it straight down the middle and one half of it I left on the rock and then cut the other hlf agin down the middle. I almost got to greedy and cut the one half into almost 20 pieces. It has been a pretty slow recovery!

In my experience, florida ricordea can be cut in half like fly guy described, but I cut mine in half and it grew back together (go figure). I don't know if you can cut the ricordea in half and cut the rock with it to prevent it from happening... maybe mine was just a freak of nature and they don't usually do it, but just thought I'd share my experience.

With ricordea yuma, mine was attached to multiple rocks and I had to pull them apart, I gently tried to pry off the foot but a small piece remained on one rock, which in turn started growing into a separate ric mushroom (until my yellow headed gobies buried it in the sand and that's the last I saw of it). I do believe ricordea yuma multiply by fission of their foot, which would explain the above mentioned event.

Good luck! :)

Back