Rid acrylic scratches...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NC2WA

Is there a product that can remove acrylic scratches under water (ie, w/o draining the tank) ?

I am aware of Novus products but do not know if it can be used underwater.

thanks
Kirk

You can fix scratches underwater with a magnet cleaner, sand papers until you get most of it out, from what I understand very tedious but you can do a good job with it. Search for DonW post on it, I think he did a write up long ago on that.

scooty,

thanks...I found this reply from Don: "Do a google search for micro mesh and get rough all the way up to 12000 grit. Its easy but time consuming. If you get the type with hook and loop backing you can use a strong mag float as the sanding block."

Do you know if this will harm the fish that are currently in the tank? I have a large investment of angels and dont wanna lose them. :) :)

thx

I can't say that, my luck something would happen LOL. When you sand, then you get dust, acrylic dust in the water, so anything like that is possible. Now that said everything I've read says it is safe, I'd shoot Jason a PM and ask him about that.

I have done this and it did cloud up my water but nothing seemed to mind it at all even my sps kept good polyp extension through the whole ordeal. I would say though get the biggest strongest magnet you can find and a bucket of patience because this is not a quick process but it does leave a nice clean scratch free tank Hope that helps =)

Mightymagnets.com has a kit that allows you to do in while In the tank and i think it includes a magnet

http://mightymagnets.com/scratchkits

Back