Rise in Temperature and TUNZE Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ranvan

I have installed a new skimmer...a TUNZE 9010. I think I have figured that this skimmer has causd the temp to stay at 84 degrees. It is not the heater and it is not one powerhead (so far) and I don't think it is the other one. A week ago when I opened the skimmer (before I knew the temp was higher, I thought that the pump was warmer than I thought it should be.

For those who have a TUNZE, it this normal? Or do I have a problem?

Ranvan.
Not sure about how much the Tunze skimmer can cause the temp to change. but any time you add a pump into a tank it can raise the temp some with some pumps being worse than others.

What was the temp prior to the addition of the skimmer? Do you have any fans helping to cool it? Does the pump seem to working correctly other than running hot?

I have a Deltec skimmer that warns you to prime the pump by cutting off the air supply for a few seaconds to get out the air from the pump itself. also if its a magnetic pump it will run the impeller both directions depending on the positon when it first starts up. you can un plug it an replug it in a few times let it run, then feel for temp. Try that a few times. Some pumps are made to rotate both directions, some might get a little hot if not running the correct direction. Otherwise get some fans on the tank, i use one of those cheep clipon ones. Good luck!

tunze uses low watt pumps, is this skimmer new?
are you sure it's hooked up properly? or is there something stuck in the pump mabye??
i've never heard of a 9010 heating a tank up to 84, i'd say it has more to do with summer temps than anything...do you have fans or a chiller of any sorts on the system? what kind of lights??

"Happily" it is a powerhead. So, mystery solved. I think the TUNZE protein skimmer is fine.

Now, I need a new thread on how to find the most reliable powerhead, and how I can prevent them from overheating so often.

Good news,:) Good Job elimating problem:). I am not sure of size of your aquarium. I like the looks of Koralia powerheads. I also like the idea of putting them on a wavemaker for alternating flow.

Glad you got it figured out.

Ed, the Korilia doesn't work so well on a wave maker. They chatter when they first start up until they get spinning in the right direction.

All AC powerheads will chatter on startup, it's the nature of the beast. Besides wavemakers are overrated anyway.

Back