RLSS R6 Skimmer Ultra Quiet

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Terrance

My first skimmer was actually a HOB Reef Octopus BH2000 skimmer. It was quiet for an effective HOB skimmer for my previous 46g. After I upgraded to a larger 120g tank with 40g sump fishless system, I switched to the RLSS R6 in-sump skimmer. OMG it is the most quiet skimmer I have EVER heard. If I turned off all the equipment for my 120g, I would not hear the skimmer running if I'm standing 6ft away. I'm one of those people who is annoyed by a fly buzzing around in the next room, so I'm glad I can't hear the RLSS R6. The waveline DC skimmer pump is also energy efficient in addition to being quiet.

Performance is also fantastic. My 120g is lightly stocked with BTAs and LPS at this time. I feed mysis shrimp to them once weekly, sometimes once every 2 weeks depending if I can remember or have time to do it. The skimmer cup collects brown water every single time I clean it out every 2-3 days.

Build quality is also great as far as I can tell, but I don't know much about this category.

I'm about to trade out my mag 18 pump (1800gph 145w) for a waveline DC return pump (~1450gph 50w) because I want an affordable ultra quiet return pump that is energy efficient.

Terrance, if you wait a few weeks they are releasing an updated series of the Waveline pumps. Redesigned volute, the ic chip has been moved from the pump to the controller, more flow, and Apex controllable (I think, its late and im tired otherwise i would look that part up lol). I am grabbing a DC12000 as soon as they ship.

I couldn't buy any of the current waveline pumps even if I wanted to. They are all discontinued and have been unavailable for the past several weeks. Only thing to do is wait for "spring 2013" for the new models to be released. I'm probably going for the DC6000.

The problem you are running into is the reason I switched my order to a reef octo pov-2 skimmer

I'm patiently waiting for the day I get a dc10000!
Lol the 12000 is supposed to come out too ya?
Once I get nice returns ill get recirculating skimmerz!!!!
:)
-d

Back