RO cleaning. sat for a year

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
Alrighty I got my parts today. And I was going to put it all together then I remembered someone asking about how to clean there RO. if I remember right someone suggested putting half a cup of bleach into the first canister. With all filters and membrane removed of course. And letting it run for like 10 minutes. Is this safe? Is this a good idea? My ro did sit for about a year un-used.

Should I remove the lil blue flow restrictor that is on the waste water line? I’m pretty sure that’s what it is. It fits inside the waste water tube that comes out of the membrane housing.

And where do I put the new flow restrictor? The old Ro was 60gpd and the new membrane I bought is 75gpd and came with a lil in line flow restrictor.

Last edited:
This is what they told me on another forum.
A half cup of bleach is too much, all you need is a table spoon or two. You can leave the restrictor in when you do this. Run it for 10 or 20 minutes then take everything apart and rinse everything. Put it back together and run for another 10 or 20 minutes then add all of your new filters and you will be good to go.

Cleaning the canisters should be done if you let the rodi sit for to long as in this case. Just run the unit for awhile after bleaching then take it apart to air dry.

Don

I don't know anything about cleaning an RO unit, but I don't know anyone that bleaches their tank yearly, or EVER. There are reef tanks that have been running for many years without ever being broke down and cleaned.

bleach your r/o tank i mean lol!

Back