RO/DI Filter Orientation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Craiz

All the RO/DI filters I've seen always have the DI chamber horizontal. Wouldn't it make more sense to place it vertically? This way there wouldn't be any or as much channelling. Has anyone set theirs up that way? Any problems I'm not thinking of?

some RODI units have the DI chamber horizontal on top of it .
I wouldn't see this as a problem..
The things work from water pressure.. forcing water from outside the filter media to the inside then out and up to the next chamber..

I was thinking about just mounting the DI chamber vertically. The rest of the unit would be unchanged; prefilters vertical, RO membrane horizontal.

Did it come that way or did you mount it that way yourself? If the latter, any tips on how you did it? Mine has brackets which snap on the RO chamber and the DI chamber. Is there some kind of bracket or mount at the HW store which would work well?

I have one mount each way I did a DIY for the vertical one my system came with a horizontal mounted DI unit. I wouldn't think of anything that would make it less functional other then the water may not Get all the way to the top of a horizontal mount cartridge.

I'm running a Spectrapure w/ 4 DI units - all vertical. I don't think I've ever seen one mounted horizontal. I think there may be a disadvantage of going horizaontal for that type of filtration since it would allow more surface area for the HOH resin beads to settle on the lower side resulting in inefficient Ion Exchange. Just a theory...

Back