RO/DI Filtration

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FishBoyNB

Hi,

I purchased a well reviewed RO/DI system from a LFS. I set it up this morning and started running it. I am having a problem though. I made 30-35 gallons of waste water while only making 2-3 gallons of usable water. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Dan

Your not doing anything wrong. That is exactly how they work. Kind a sucks watching all that water going down the drain right. It takes me 5-6hrs just to make 5 gallons of RO/DI and about 20min to make the same amount of waste.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

be good to know the psi going in, and if the unit has a flow restrictor or not also... i agree, 10 to 1 isn't normal

YOu may need a booster pump. The higher the PSI from the house into the RO membrane the less wast water you will get, within reason anyway. Also dirty prefilters will reduce the PSI. Did you put new ones in or did you use the ones it came with?

Pressure gauge would help you figure out what your PSI in is. I have one on my BRS RO/DI and I find I don't even turn the faucet on half way to hit 70psi.

It sort of all depends on the quality of the water coming from the source....I high tds source would produce a lot more waste water than a low TDS input....

Back