RO/DI-Seattle Area

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The Shark

Killer Blenny
Due to some recent high water bills at my place, I am trying to figure out how to cut back on my RO fills. (Or tell the girlfriend to stop showering...:eek:)

Does anyone in the Seattle area use only a DI filter, rather than the whole RO/DI setup? I have never tested the city's water, how impure is it?
I had read that this was a way to somewhat filter your water, but not have to worry about losing all of the wastewater.

I realize that I can buy RO systems that recycle the waste...but that is a little too spendy.

Thanks,

Dan

Due to some recent high water bills at my place, I am trying to figure out how to cut back on my RO fills. (Or tell the girlfriend to stop showering...:eek:)

Does anyone in the Seattle area use only a DI filter, rather than the whole RO/DI setup? I have never tested the city's water, how impure is it?
I had read that this was a way to somewhat filter your water, but not have to worry about losing all of the wastewater.

I realize that I can buy RO systems that recycle the waste...but that is a little too spendy.

Thanks,

Dan

You will spend more on DI resin than you ever will on water.

Don

You will spend more on DI resin than you ever will on water.

Don
I am not 100% sure of that, but I have not yet run the numbers.
In Seattle, the sewer bill is based on water usage. And the water is relatively pure (TDS around 30). When I get a chance, I will run the numbers based on actual water (plus sewer) cost.

Government charges can sometimes distort real costs.

I ran a large DIY carbon reactor followed up with a small DI chamber on my frag system for six months without problems. I produced about 2GPD. It brought my TDS from 36 down to 0. I never changed any of the media but expected thats its lifespan was about up when I broke it down. Im tempted to use the same system on my large reef.

No, 2 gallons a day was all the system required me to make. I typically would fill a 5G bucket every other day or so. I would trickle the water through as slowly as possible with a ball valve in hopes of as much contact time with the media as possible. The pitfall of a system like this is there is no real way to tell when the carbon is used up. A RO/DI is a far more fool proof way of purifying your water. Chlorine kills.

Last edited:
I have heard of some people recycling the waste water from the RO unit.
Pipe the waste water into a collection barrel and use it to fill the washing machine and water the plants. If you mount the reservoir on a stand, gravity will pump it where you need it. I have thought about mounting my RO unit in the laundry room and just letting the waste water go right into the washing machine. When it fills up, I do a load of laundry. Might work. :)

I have heard of some people recycling the waste water from the RO unit.
Pipe the waste water into a collection barrel and use it to fill the washing machine and water the plants. If you mount the reservoir on a stand, gravity will pump it where you need it. I have thought about mounting my RO unit in the laundry room and just letting the waste water go right into the washing machine. When it fills up, I do a load of laundry. Might work. :)

That's exactly what I do.

I have a unit I haven't used in a year and was wondering if the filters are still good. What do you test for to see if it is still working right?
I'm guessing:
Chlorine
TDS
Any others? Is there a good test kit for this?

Back