RO/DI System Opinions?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Zenoah1439

Hey All,

I'm looking to add a RO/DI system to my house in order to start reducing the Nitrates in my tank. I've been looking at the RO/DI systems on Bulk Reef Supply. Are their systems decent? I'm currently between the 75GPH Standard and Plus System and had a few questions:
  1. Are the filters for each system "interchangeable" or will only Bulk Reef Supply filters fit Bulk Reef Supply systems? AKA, could i buy filters from somewhere local (assuming their the same size) and use them un a BRS system?
  2. How useful is the pressure gage? From what i've read, it just gives the owner a signal for when the filters are getting clogged and need replacement.
  3. What exactly is the point of the TDS meter? It seems to me its more of a cool factor to see how well your filter system is operating.
  4. Is a flush kit really needed? I read somewhere that a RO/DI system can be ran in reverse to flush the system. Is this true? Is a "flush kit" just an easy way to reverse the flow with the turn of a switch rather than switching hoses around?
Any recommendations outside of BRS for good filters? I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck without sacrificing the health of the aquarium since i'm going back to school again starting in about a week lol.

Might sound like some noob questions, but i'm a noob..........with questions.......

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of thefilterguys.biz

They sell great filters at a good price. Great price on replacement filters too. You can email them and talk Jim will get back to you. He won't stear you wrong (and won't sell you anything you don't need.)

Anyway, thats where I got my filter and have chatted with him several times on the phone to figure out what I needed and to help troubleshoot a house water pressure issue. I highly recommend

I bought my RO/DI unit from BRS and am very happy with it.
I bought the build it unit with dual TDS meter, oil filled pressure gauge and back flush valve.
Their customer service is great.

And for a 3rd choice, I've been using a Reefkeeper Typhoon from Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | Products and answers for your water treatment needs. for the last 7+ years. Mine is so old, they didnt have the various Typhoon models they do now. Mine was the only Reef Keeping model offered. Over the years I've broken the lids where the John Guest fittings screw into, or the John Guest fittings themselves have cracked. Each time, all I've had to do was contact airwaterice and got new parts sent for free.

Cant beat that with a stick.

Really, what you're looking for is something with the ability to filter and produce anywhere between 50-100 gallons per day of RODi water. I would get a back flush kit depending on what your TDS is right out of the tap. Ours is about 200 here where I live. Ours is low enough that I didnt bother with a backflush kit. You're supposed to replace your membrane every two years or so anyway, so I didnt see the need to get one. I end up pretty much needing to replace the membrane right about the two year mark.

Get yourself an inline TDS meter as well. I just finally got off my butt and spent the enormous sum of $29 to get one after 7 years without......no idea why I waited so long.

I've also ordered from both BRS and The Filter Guys and have nothing but good things to say about both companies.

Honestly, these days, you'll have a hard time buying a bad product out of any of the companies mentioned in this thread.

Nick

Thanks all,

I'll look into the offerrings of the three companies above and hopefully make a choice and drop some cash on the next paycheck. Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

I just now went with a spectrapure, and I'm so glad I did.

They have a refurb unit and a $29 inline TDS meter that I couldn't resist. I'm so glad I did, no more hauling water for me.
Any of the RODI units mentioned here will all do the same thing, they're all quality brands that work great for what we need.

MAXPURE MPDI SYSTEM

Hey Guys and Gals,

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. I just put my order in for a RO/DI system with a dual TDS meter. Should arrive about the same time i get back from travel.

I ended up getting a 75gpd system. I figured this would give me the potential to expand to larger tanks if needed in the future. I ended up with a 4 stage system after some discussions with "the pros". Apparently the water in my area is very good to start with so a 5 stage system is "nice" but not required. I also found out that the 4 stage systems can be upgraded to 5 stage systems later which kinda sold me on the concept. I went with the maxpure system and will let ya'll know how it goes once I get it here and installed.

Thanks again for the advise.

Back