RO/DI Systems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trc

I think I've hauled water up to my second floor apartment for the last time, time to buy a RO/DI system. I need to get one that will allow drinking water in addition to feeding the aquarium. I'd be interested to hear opinions on what everyone is using, pros & cons. Thx

I think I've hauled water up to my second floor apartment for the last time, time to buy a RO/DI system. I need to get one that will allow drinking water in addition to feeding the aquarium. I'd be interested to hear opinions on what everyone is using, pros & cons. Thx

I would not buy a name brand since your really just paying for a name and none of them actually make anything they just assemble parts.

The filter guys are my prefered supplier.

Don

From everything I've seen, Spectrapure is very popular and the fitler guys seem to get a lot of kudos also. I guess I'll have to research more and try to find out what my water pressure is.

From everything I've seen, Spectrapure is very popular and the fitler guys seem to get a lot of kudos also. I guess I'll have to research more and try to find out what my water pressure is.

Water pressure is very important. I have low 28psi, and had to add a pump.

The reality is filter will last as long as they will last based on how nasty your water is. 5 micron is 5 micron. Tfc membrane are rated in a lab enviroment under optimum conditions. The most efficient membranes are 98% rejection rate. 98% is 98% no mater who you buy from. The housing are made by a few different manufacturers and assembled by resellers. Some are better than others but for the most part if a company is selling good membranes their housings are pretty good. The bracket that holds it all together is also made by other companies. The SP is fairly solid along with most others even the elcheapo ebay specials.
So good quality housing, a solid metal bracket, 98% membranes, and nuclear grade di resin along with a fair price and good customer service is what I would look for.

Don

Thanks Don, it's like anything else in this hobby, you can spend as much as your wallet can stand or you can meet the need and look past the hype.

Thanks Don, it's like anything else in this hobby, you can spend as much as your wallet can stand or you can meet the need and look past the hype.

Exactly. I think you need one like mine.:lol:

Pretty stout, seems as if you can look past the hype and still wear your wallet out.

Don,

So you have two Tsunami's and an Ocean Reef?

No the white parts are water general with filmtec 75gpd membrane 98% rejection. Before the membrane it dual gac. After the membrane is dual di. After the dual di is the final carbon. Just alot of pieces and parts put together by me.
Currently its running dual 75gpd membranes and a donw special pass to drain controller.:)
There is less than half the money invested in it vs a name brand unit of the same caliber.

Don

I would have to agree with DonW. I had similiar concerns and ended up with the Filter guys OCEAN REEF +2. It has been great so far. About 3 weeks. O tds!!! I can already see a change in the tanks. Price was fair a customer service was great. They answered many questions when I was at the Q+A stage before the purchase. The direction were also very good!!!

DB

Back