Ro/di units question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OCDreefer

What are the key factors that go into making a good ro/di unit? Do I have to spend top $$ to get a good one? I would like not to drop a ton of money can I get away with a cheaper unit or will I regret it? Also what brands/units do people recommend?

get an inline TDS meter...best money spent and the only way to tell if your filter is working, needing new filters, etc. Most of the systems are so close to the same it is more a personal preference IMO.

Spectrapure are the best but also the most expensive. I have a Kent Maxxima that works just fine. Get the booster pump unless you don't pay for your water. Expect to pay ~$200-$300 for the entire system. The reverse washing addition will save the RO membrane as well as changing the carbon filter before it often.

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/filter_packages.htm

This is a good place to get your RO/DI also, If the website doesn't answer your questions a call will. As far as the actual unit & what filters you need, you should get your local water quality report that has to be posted for everyone to see. The Filter guys can also help you get that information & then get a system that fits your needs, why buy unnecessary filters or equipment, some people go way overboard IMO?

My first unit was a off brand E bay unit, after a year and a half of trying to get a auto shut off to work, I bought a new unit from The Filter Guys. The difference in quality and performance was night and day. So IMOP there is a difference between units. They are both 75gpd but the TFG units is about 30% faster. The off brand unit would never get below 6 ppm and TFG unit was 0 right out of the box. They also have the best customer service around.

Forgot to mention DOW Filmtech is the best RO membrane out there so be sure whatever you get to check that!

Back