RO/DI vs auto top off

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

parajack

I can't really ask a specific question as of yet, but was looking for thread referrals and or pics which would help me understand and get ideas for setting up my fish room ro/di holding tank and sump auto top off systems, and how they interrelate to each other.

The question I have right now is that I'd like to purchase and get my ro/di unit installed and up and running, but I don't want to be setting up other fish room systems later and discover that I bought the wrong ro/di system, or the system I bought wasn't compatible in some way or another....I'm not sure how this could be a problem as ro systems I've looked at all seem pretty straight fwd, but you never know :eek1:

New Reef 6st 125GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Water Filters Item number: 4412244344

i dont know much about but i do know with a ro system u have almost 75% water wasteage compared to none on di cool idea thats not imo i read that in a book just today so there u go learn something new every day

Marine reef aquarium handbook by dr robert j goldstein

Most any brand of rodi is fine. I'd get one that comes with a auto shut off valve. This gives you the option to put a float in your storage tank. I would get one large enough, just so you dont have to wait two days if you need to do a emergency water change.

Don

http://store.yahoo.com/buywaterfilters/ro5455stag45.html

I bought one similar to the one above for about $120.00 which I believe is a great deal for 100 gallon per day ~ 6 stage RO/DI. This price was for the unit without the tank or faucet. The one listed is 85 gpd. I did get mine from this company; if you call them they can hook you up.

You can make RO water for drinking and RO/DI water for your aquarium using an RO/DI unit. If you’re not interested in filtering water for drinking/cooking/coffee, etc… then just use RO/DI for your tanks. I have a small float valve in a trash can for RO/DI and a 7 gal bucket with a float valve for RO-drinking water. I also have a ball valve plumbed to both containers for dispensing.

If you're going to be in the salt water tank hobby for a long time then it is a must have piece of equipment. I used to use tap water (when I first started) and went round and round battling all kinds of problems including phosphate, nitrate, algae, etc... I then began purchasing RO water from a local water company for $00.35 per gal until I found out that drinking water has absolutely no regulations or laws specifying “quality”. My problems continued until I started filtering my own water. Now water quality problems are a thing of the past (just as long as you do your water changes).

Buying water (even quality water) is not a great solution since it’s not convenient and you can tend to procrastinate with water changes.

Last edited:
Back