RO/DI waste water.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tat2z_21

tat2z_21
So I just recently scored on a nice RO/DI system from "Minus the Ich" Dennis. Thank you by the way. I am trying to decide where I want to set it up. In my garage I have a 1/4" line tapped off of my water heater for a ice machine the former residents had. I was going to use that. My only issue is that it is all copper tubing. I am not sure if that would be a problem. I did some research on the system and found that it has a waste:clean ratio of 4:1. So with that being said and the cost of fresh water on Whidbey. I was wondering what the effect would be of running the waste water back into the water system. Would it be possible to feed the waste water back into the hot water heater. Being that the hot water is not usually consumed, all of the waste water would be utilized for laundry and dishwashing. I know that showers would be in there as well. I am just wondering if it would be possible, and if there were any negative side effects (like my kids grow an extra arm) what would they be. Would the benefits out weigh the risk. Any information in this area would be greatly appreciated.

No ideas on this out there. I figured there had to be someone out there that may have gone through this.

The water that you get from the tap is pressurized but after it passes through your RO/DI unit it is not so you would need to pressurize it to return it to the tap system. Running it through a hot water tank would not be energy efficient regardless of finding a way to pressurize the return system.

You can always use it for the toilet water or garden.

I iunderstand that it wouldn't be energy efficient. I am worried about the 400 gallons of waste water for 100 gallons of good water. If I was to put the unit nex to the water heater I might be able to tap into the inlet and as water feeds into the tank theoretically it would also create a syphon. Would this syphon be adequate enough to pull the low volume of water bypassing the RO/DI.

I iunderstand that it wouldn't be energy efficient. I am worried about the 400 gallons of waste water for 100 gallons of good water. If I was to put the unit nex to the water heater I might be able to tap into the inlet and as water feeds into the tank theoretically it would also create a syphon. Would this syphon be adequate enough to pull the low volume of water bypassing the RO/DI.

You should just have a 400g water container to store it all in and put it in the attic or upper floor of your home. That way you can put a heater in it and use it as a gravity fed shower :p

Yeah I will just kick my kids out of their room and put it in there. The kids will be fine in the garage.

There actually is a unit out there that pumps it back into your hot water supply. Can't remember the name but I think it is/was available at Costco.
The other thing I have heard of someone doing was returnig it back into the main water supply for the house. Either way, I think both methods use some sort of booster pump to make that happen.

Inlet water pressure can be as high as 90psi, most average between 30 - 80 all depending where you live really & I doubt you will overcome that with a siphon, you'll get a wet floor LOL
It makes good water for other things though, that is a good idea!

I put my RODI waste line right into my washing machine.
Is great for pre-filling the washer on that first batch of laundry.

(Note: *only the first 50 gallons or so goes into the washer, then I move the waste line to the washer's drain tube--if I tried to dump 100 gallons into the washer all at once, the machine would flood.)

I use mine for topping off my yard pond in the summer. Mostly, I just chalk it up as part of reef maintanance cost. Theres no way of getting around it.

Hard to figure out what to do with the waste water during this time of the year. I run a 34 gallon reef (Solana) and this is one advantage I guess for not going large. My 10% water change versus a 300 gal water change. Yikes...

We have local laws that make it illegal to have anything going into the water system.
It was designed to prevent unwanted fluid from entering the main system in any way, if something were to go wrong.
Anti back up valves in lawn systems have to be inspected by a licensed inspector once a year minimum.
In any case, the pressure you require to return to the system would have to be greater than the system pressure itself.

Hmmm. Good idea. I might have to do something like that. I understand that this is an expensive hobby. I do believe that with the expenses if there are ways to cutback on loss then we should look at all ways possible. That is all that I am trying to do. With my situation I have 5 kids and this is my hobby, I have to do as much research and implement enough process to eliminate any unnecessary expense. So recirculating my waste water into the hot water heater was my process for conserving water and the cost of water. I do appreciate everyone that has responded with their thoughts. This is why I love reef frontiers. Quick responses and an extensive amount of knowledge.

Back