RO/DI Water Filters/Inserts

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

f2titan

I have a Bulk Reef Supply 5 Stage "Plus" system.

How ofter do you change the filters on yours? That being after how many water changes, or gallons you think you run through it. The gage has recently been showing: 001 for output. Sometimes going back to 000, but mostly (lately) stays at 001.

My water changes have been every 3 weeks, and aprox 32 gallons. I am updating that to every two week now though. I have changed the first "white" filter twice. I got the unit in Oct of 09.

You really can't go by gallons produced when trying to determine how long your RO/DI filters and membrane will last, as it will vary based on your input water quality. The worse your input water, the quicker your filters will need to be replaced.

It's best to judge by using your TDS meter and also your pressure gauge, if you have one. If you have a dual TDS meter, then you can measure the TDS after the RO membrane and also the TDS after the DI cartridge. When you start to see the TDS increase, it's an indication your membrane and/or DI needs replacing. If you have a pressure gauge, that can be useful to determine when your prefilters need replacing, as the pressure will drop as the filters get clogged.

I'm not sure where you 001 TDS reading is coming from, post RO membrane or post DI cartridge? If it's post RO membrane, then you're in good shape right now. If it's post DI cartridge, you're probably still in good shape, but it would be good to know what your TDS reading is post RO membrane. Reason being it's possible your RO membrane could be filtering less and outputting highter TDS water, and then your DI is cleaning up the remaining TDS, which is OK but your DI will be exhausted quicker in that case.

Guess what I'm trying to say is it's a good idea to measure TDS after both RO membrane and after DI cartridge, as those individual readings will help you determine which may need to be replaced.

HTH,

Rob

tds input vers tds output. its all dependent on your source water,

Im on a well.. mine last about 16months...

You really can't go by gallons produced when trying to determine how long your RO/DI filters and membrane will last, as it will vary based on your input water quality. The worse your input water, the quicker your filters will need to be replaced.

It's best to judge by using your TDS meter and also your pressure gauge, if you have one. If you have a dual TDS meter, then you can measure the TDS after the RO membrane and also the TDS after the DI cartridge. When you start to see the TDS increase, it's an indication your membrane and/or DI needs replacing. If you have a pressure gauge, that can be useful to determine when your prefilters need replacing, as the pressure will drop as the filters get clogged.

I'm not sure where you 001 TDS reading is coming from, post RO membrane or post DI cartridge? If it's post RO membrane, then you're in good shape right now. If it's post DI cartridge, you're probably still in good shape, but it would be good to know what your TDS reading is post RO membrane. Reason being it's possible your RO membrane could be filtering less and outputting highter TDS water, and then your DI is cleaning up the remaining TDS, which is OK but your DI will be exhausted quicker in that case.

Guess what I'm trying to say is it's a good idea to measure TDS after both RO membrane and after DI cartridge, as those individual readings will help you determine which may need to be replaced.

HTH,

Rob

Yes, I have a pressure gage, and a TDS meter for input, and output. The 001 reading I noted was for the output. Today I ordered new media for the DI, or Deionization resin. Its turned a gold/yellow color.

Back