RO/DI water pressure

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

capdippe

I bought a 6 stage RO/DI unit from BRS, and the 150GPD upgrade. The homes water pressure in Kent is only 35psi on the ro/di unit. I took a pressure gauge and tested the house, and onlt get 45psi. The unit says that it needs 60psi to work, however it is producing RO/DI water as I type this. What can I do to up the pressure in the home, and should I shut the unit off due to low RO pressure?

I would highly recommend a booster pump, you can get one from the same place you got the unit or air/water and ice another one of RF sponsors! This will get you maximum RO/DI and much faster, it will be worth the extra cost and you don't have to boost the entire house water pressure just the supply to the unit itself.

http://www.airwaterice.com/c=0AqN0pQTY08kHrMdFM2RHrBmf/category/4/

Last edited by a moderator:
Not an RO/DI expert by any means but I think if you are below that max pressure you just create more waste water and the unit isn't as efficient (more frequent replacement of RO/DI cartridges). If you have a large tank and need that 150 GPD per day then it's probably worth it. If you are like me and have a small tank then dropping the $200 plus installation/my time and the continuous maintenance/replacement of pressure pumps may not be worth the cost. Since my waste water goes to the garden in the summertime and washer in the winter I can't really say it's wasted.

You would have to look at the numbers and see what the cost benefits are of running a pressurized system to your normal water pressure. Include the cost of the running pump when you do the numbers. How much more effiencient do these pumps make the system and what is the risk of a line breakage with the extra pressure (because you know you going to tweak it to the max)?

Last edited:
I think you'd be surprised how well the pumps work and they should go a good while without issues. The thing here is If he's getting 45PSI in then he won't need a lot more to do a great job. My house supply is around 85psi so I know it would help our on efficiency greatly. I won't say it is mandatory but probably worth it if you do have a tank as big as say 50g or 75g and up. JMO

Thanks for the input. I bought a pressure pump from BRS, and hope to see it next wednesday or so. I plumbed the waste water into the washer, and I have to say my laundery is much softer than before, odd but true. I tested my kent water and got a TDS reading of 34.

Back