Ro/Di

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dtd87

I want to purchase an ro/di unit so I can save some gas and cash in the long run for the weekly trips to the lfs. Can anyone tell me a good unit that won't completely rob my wallet. My spending limit is about 200-225$. But anything cheaper isn't a problem @ all :D

Thank you for your input

-Devin

I want to purchase an ro/di unit so I can save some gas and cash in the long run for the weekly trips to the lfs. Can anyone tell me a good unit that won't completely rob my wallet. My spending limit is about 200-225$. But anything cheaper isn't a problem @ all :D

Thank you for your input

-Devin

The filterguys is my first choice. I have one that needs to be sold if you want used.

Don

I'm just looking for something quality and such I don't know to much about these other than they remove all the bad stuff :( It's one of the only things I haven't investigated much.

get this one
Just get a float valve and a container your set.

$ 199.00 - OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI

* All systems are made to order with clear 10" canister housings
* Stage One NSF rated 5 micron poly sediment filter
* Stage Two 5 Micron Matrikx NSF rated CTO/2 Workhorse carbon block
* Stage Three 0.6 Micron Matrikx NSF rated chlorine guzzler carbon block
* RO membrane 75 GPD Dow Filmtec
* Stage Five refillable cartridge with color-changing DI resin
* 100 PSI pressure gauge
* Auto shut-off (Requires Float Valve or Switch To Work)
* Membrane flush valve
* Dual TDS meter
* Quick connect fittings
* Self Piercing Saddle Valve Water Supply Connection
* Drain Connection
* Filter wrench to make cartridge replacement easy

ADD ONS:
# RO BYPASS VALVE $12
# DUAL DI SYSTEM - E-MAIL FOR PRICING
100 GPD FILMTEC MEMBRANE OPTIONAL - $5

Last edited:
I'll sell you mine for the cost of the filters from filter guys only two weeks old the filters that is have everything you need to rig it...100$

Oh yeah it's a six stage double di chambers.
SORRY DIDN'T READ donW's post don't won't to steal ur thunder!

Last edited:
+1 for the filter guys. Made to order, and the guy (jim) I talked to was very knowledgable and helpful. I got this one, which has 2 membranes, so generates much less waste water than the single membrane units.

I'd buy dons if he's selling it. He knows his filters, as he helped me chose mine. If he says its good, you won't be disappointed.

woops, didn't post what I have, here it is:

$265.00 - OCEAN REEF MISER SIX STAGE RO/DI 150 GPD

* All systems are made to order with clear 10" canister housings
* Stage One NSF rated 5 micron poly sediment filter
* Stage Two 5 Micron Matrikx NSF rated CTO/2 carbon block filter
* Stage Three 0.6 Micron Matrikx NSF rated +1Chlorine Guzzler carbon block
* Two Dow FilmTec RO membranes 75 GPD each
* Stage Six Full size DI housing with refillable cartridge
* Auto Shutoff valve (Requires Float Valve Or Switch To Work)
* Membrane flush valve
* Pressure Guage
* Quick connect fittings
* 1/4" Garden Hose Adaptor
* Drain Connection
* Filter wrench to make cartridge replacement easy

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/water_saver_ro_di.htm

Cost effective?

Has anyone does cost analysis of how much it costs to maintain the average RODI unit a year in filter replacement costs? I buy water weekly from "Water to Go" in Federal Way. They have giant RODI unit that supposedly makes A1 water. I buy the 100 gallon prepaid card so it costs me 44 cents a gallon. At 10 Gallons a week= 520 gallons = $228.00 a year for RODI water.

If a RODI system costs 200-300 and has a 5 year lifetime thats roughly 40-60 a year in initial purchase cost, so if I had to spend more than 160 a year in filter cartidge replacements I would not be saving by having my own RODI. I would of course save the hassle of having to stop at WTG every Friday on my way home from work.

Ichy

Has anyone does cost analysis of how much it costs to maintain the average RODI unit a year in filter replacement costs? I buy water weekly from "Water to Go" in Federal Way. They have giant RODI unit that supposedly makes A1 water. I buy the 100 gallon prepaid card so it costs me 44 cents a gallon. At 10 Gallons a week= 520 gallons = $228.00 a year for RODI water.

If a RODI system costs 200-300 and has a 5 year lifetime thats roughly 40-60 a year in initial purchase cost, so if I had to spend more than 160 a year in filter cartidge replacements I would not be saving by having my own RODI. I would of course save the hassle of having to stop at WTG every Friday on my way home from work.

Ichy

No you will not spend that unless you have some seriously lousy water. I do question the water your buying. Drinking water places usually only sell RO water not RODI since DI really isnt good for human consumption over a long term. IMO you will get better water and have it on demand along with saving money.

Don

I talked to the Jim at filter guys,

I think replacement filters are around 20 bucks or so every 6 months. He said the water here is very good. Said the DI filter should be good for an extremely long time.

Seems like it will be way cheaper (and convenient) to just purify it yourself. Not to mention the gas you'll save not driving to get it all the time.

rob

I was commuting to get RO either at a store or from a fellow reefer who was very generous.
I was offerd a deal I couldnt pass on from yet another Reefer here :) for an RO unit.

best thing I have done, I recommend getting a unit if you can.

If you use it for just ur top off ,a decent system will have enough aeration to need one or continual adding of water and then it wouldn't be in small amounts ph? Anyway my tank changed drastically just from the top-off being added:)

Back