RO vs. DI

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bripen

SeaSlug
I'm new here--so please bear with me. Anyone care to explain why it seems that RO is so popular as oppossed to DI? As far as I have been able to determine, RO wastes water, DI doesn't. RO requires the purchase of new membranes, DI is recharged with some bleach and salt. Are stand-alone DI units not available? I've been using my well water so far, but have been looking into the matter... Any advice would be appreciated.:confused:

I'm new here--so please bear with me. Anyone care to explain why it seems that RO is so popular as oppossed to DI? As far as I have been able to determine, RO wastes water, DI doesn't. RO requires the purchase of new membranes, DI is recharged with some bleach and salt. Are stand-alone DI units not available? I've been using my well water so far, but have been looking into the matter... Any advice would be appreciated.:confused:

RO definately wastes water but it was never a big deal to me. I would fill up my washing machine and water my plants with the waste water.

Depending on the TDS of the input water, strictly using several DI units in sequence might work fine for you. You would never want to use a mixed-resin bed DI filter because those cannot be recharged. People with high TDS input water tend to use RO/DI water to lower the TDS that hits the mixed bed resin DI. If you intend to recharge, you need a separate filter for the anion resin and a separate filter for the cation resin.

Back