RO vs RO/DI Opinions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well I know to avoid unwanted and preventable issues down the road that could (and probably would) happen down the road, most notably unwanted algale.

Anyway I have been looking into RO and RO/DI units and have come across two that I am contemplating buying (both are bought from people not stores)

FIrst is just an RO option:
Kent Marine 35 GPD Hi-S RO System - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store
Now I wanted to avoid RO units because from my understanding they can leave quite a bit of silica behind and I really want to avoid that. However with this RO unit (the Kent High-S silicate remover) I dont have to worry about that.

or just to be safe (wit silica and other things the DI takes care of)
Kent Marine Maxxima 50 GPD RO/DI System - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store
This is a really nice unit but its more expensive and the filters need to be replaced sooner than the other option.

Now would I be gaining significant benefits from the DI and thus just shell out the money now or could I do the RO unit with little problems (as my water is clean but would the RO be enough)

From what I understand, you want both the "ro" and the "di" to be safe. I use ro/di water, but get it from a water plant here that supplies basically the whole Bahamas with ro/di drinking water. I don't know much about the personal systems because I don't have one, but here is a bump for you. Hope you find out what you need:)

http://www.coralreefsupply.com/index.php?table=ro

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/filter_packages.htm

Also check E-bay!
Go ahead & get the entire ro/di unit, if you have 50g or bigger tank go with a 75GPD unit, don't waste you money on less, it will be worth it. A good pre filter & carbon block will extend the life of your RO & DI packs, the RO will last about 3 years if you add the flush kit & keep the two pre filters clean which are cheaper to replace. I remember Wrightme43 (Steve) posted something about his RO/DI unit it looked very nice. I shoot for the 1 micron carbon filters & that should remove enough, I doubt (& I may be wrong but) the more expensive units work that much better to justify the cost.

I have a great e-bay supplier that I got mne from. Send me a PM if you want the info. I'm not positive of teh rules for posting an ebay supplier on the site.

Back