RODI and soft water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

myindoorocean

I'm setting up my RODI unit in my furnace room and I have the option of tapping into the water line before or after my water softener. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would assume I want to use soft water, but just thought I'd check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think it would depend on what type of Softener is in use, I believe many add/use salts. Can you do some basic testing of TDS, PH, Cal and Alk before and after unit ???

Cheers, Todd

I could do that. It does use salt, I think they all do. It uses it in the regen process, it happens once a week or so. Cleans out the softener part somehow, not exactly sure how it works. The softener removes the "hardness", lime and so forth, which is something I would think I wouldn't want in my tank. It definitely doesn't leave the water tasting salty or anything like that.

Hard water is not always bad, depends on what all is in the makeup as sometimes can foul/plug up the micron filters quickly. Carbonate hardness could be beneficial and the ro/di unit should remove any metals. Another thing to think about here is, what is the water pressure like before and after ? I have my ro/di unit tapped in before house PRV to get 85-90 psi instead of 51 psi afterwards. Now getting about 1/1.25 ratio instead of 1/3.5 waste-water.

Cheers, Todd

Yes, that water pressure thought is something I should check. I probably should have checked that before I bought my RODI unit because I may need one with a booster pump. I think we have more than enough pressure here in Spokane, though.

I have been googling a little, many people are saying tap in after the softener and my membrane will last much longer.

Yea after seems to be the way most folks do it to save on the membrane. Check the pressure before making a call on the booster pump and on a side note booster pumps are mostly designed as an after market thing, so easy to plug it in.

Mojo

Back