RODI question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

johnehr

Ignorant and Oblivious
My RO unit suddenly reduced its output in the last two weeks. I have added a TDS meter in that time, but I do not believe that it could almost stop the water flow on both the outputs.

Could I have a busted RO membrane? This has happened before to me when my sediment and carbon filters were old, but I just replaced them this month. Does anyone have any ideas? I haven't replaced my DI cartridge (the black one) because I think its a color change one... If it was the culprit I would think only the blue output tube's flow would be impacted.

I would have guessed the membranes as well john. Have you tried it again with the tds meter off to see if it speeds up again? tell us which cartriges were recently changed and which are older?

Mat

my thoughts...

if it were the membrane you would think the waste water flow would not have been slowed down. sounds more like a prefilter or something.

also on the inline tds meter. did you make sure the 2 dots on each probe were aligned? i'm thinking if they are out of alignment that make the 2 sensor prongs are slowing down water movement. they are not very large though so don't know how they could but it's a thought.

What do you mean by making sure the 2 dots on each probe were aligned? I just thought it had something stick out in the flow of the water to measure dissolved solids.

there is a dot on the probe itself as well as a dot on the housing of the probe. just make sure the 2 dots are aligned. it's a long shot but could be it. if they are not aligned they will be turned sides on the tube and not long ways like they should be.

I just saw the dots and they are aligned. I also saw that there is no water in the DI stage. Maybe something is messed up with the membrane. Water is in the previous two chambers...

for those of you who are interested, I figured out that it was a carbon filter right before the RO membrane. I just started disconnecting tubes and seeing if anything came out. I got a lot of water coming into that chamber and none coming out.

I don't know if it matters, but the advice I got on replacing filters was basically changing the sediment and any carbon filters all at the same time. The sediments can be extended a bit by washing them of and letting them dry, but they usually die off about the same time.

I've had the carbon filter for about 2-3 weeks. It crapped out mega early. I replaced it with another sediment filter. Bad idea, I know, but I need water for the tank.

Back