RoDi questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bored4ever86

So I bought my first Rodi system from a fellow reefer and i've got a few questions. Whats the normal waste water generated? I'm getting more waste water than pure (about 3 times as much) out of my sink. I don't have a pressure gauge or a TDS meter to test any of it yet but i'm curious why it has such a flow on waste and if thats normal. Plus i'm thinking it might be a pressure problem so i was thinking about hooking it up the the outside spigate(sp) that runs full hydrant pressure according to my dad... too much pressure? inadviseable for some other reason other than friggen cold water?

You dont want to hook it up to the outside cold water. The membrane likes wormer water to operate properly. Check with your water supplier too to see if they add chlorine to the water. It will also damage the membrane if it is not filered out before the water enters it. I hooked up two carbon filters on mine to make sure no chlorine gets thru. I test the water coming from the first carbon filter for traces of chlorine and replace the carbon if it shows up. Membranes can be expensive to replaced. Besides the trouble with algae and other water conditions if its not doing the job.

Ah i didnt know you needed to run warm water i usually just do cold from the tap. Thanks for the info Ipisces.

Ah i didnt know you needed to run warm water i usually just do cold from the tap. Thanks for the info Ipisces.

Oh, dont get me wrong, I run mine from the cold water connection of my wash machine. It doesnt need to be warm warm, just not as cold as it would get from the outside faucet. Check with the manufacturer of your membrane on the optimal temps.

Back