Rose Nipped by Tunze Powerhead.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

baseballkid5

Wife woke me up this morning. Said she was hearing something not right in the tank.. Got up and seen a Piece of My Rose Bubble caught up in the Tunze. I turned it off an waited all day to see if it would pull out its footing/bubble.. It didnt move much so i Tried to push it through and ended up tearing the footing a bit.. He closed up and doesnt seem to be putting off anything to cloud the water.. Is there anything to look for or that needs to be done.. Id say the piece that came off was around a 50 cent piece in diameter.. Should i just let him hang out where he is.. Should i change carbon/water.. any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Scott

I've always heard that a torn foot on a nem is bad news. I don't know what you can do but monitor the critter and remove it if it begins spewing or disintegrating. Do you have a QT?

Mike

I have accidentally torn an RBTA foot, but for me it recovered fine in 2 weeks....I have heard its supposed to be lethal. You wanna see what they can really take go watch the youtube video on fragging an RBTA. That being said powerheads can be pretty bad on a nem, as far as I know the best you can do is watch and keep you water quality up.

Last edited:
I received a bubble tip from a guy one time the foot looked like it went through a shredder. I put it in a lower flow part of the tank to allow it to attach to a rock...with feeding and time it has come all the way back.

Leave it alone. If it was healthy to begin with, it will heal just fine.

Best bet for any anemone caught in a powerhead or pump intake is to shut the pump off and allow the anemone to remove itself. This may take a few hours. It will however, result in less damage to the anemone than pulling it out yourself.

You will most likely wind up with two anemone's after this if it recovers. BTA's are notorious for splitting after being caught in powerheads/pumps.

Nick

My rose bubble came as a torn up thing on some liverock I bought of someone, didn't even know what it was.

It was in the dark, and eventually got some tentacles.

It was pretty small then, and totally went through the powerhead and got really shredded.

Hid in the dark a few weeks and healed up again. Now it is huge and happy (6 months later.)

Seem pretty resilliant.

Back