Rothany's 2.5 gallon Sexy Shirmp mini reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rothany

RF Premium Member
Hello all =)
As I wait and watch my main tank just grow and take off, I've decided to set this up
2.5 gallon tank that was used for freshwater
20120626_222311.jpg

My plan is to house some sexy shirmp, read about them awhile ago, very intresting little guys.
Ready to house them and see what happen. I've seen videos of them dancing lol.
I will also be throwing in some zoos,mushrooms,and maybe some softies.

Equpiment list
2.5 gallon
25 watt heater hydor heater
hang on back 75 gph flow with filter taken out
4 gu10 3x1 watt led 2 whites 2 blues

Here it is all cleaned up ready for water,going to make water tonight and use water from my main tank, to fill this pico up.

20120626_225856.jpg

LOVE IT! I plan on putting some sexy shrimp in my pico when I get to Hawaii, I am trying to use the smallest critters I can to put in my tank so I can have some diversity of life in such a small place. PICO NATION! LOL

Yeah Brotha, I am being restationed there. The moving company packs up my house on Monday and I report to my new unit on the 7th of July.

Oh I am thrilled. Although, don't get as much free time as you would think. Most of my days start at 6am and end at 5-530. And your welcome bro, I love my job and am glad I joined. Pay isn't much but life isn't all about the money.

Right on I'm also building a little sexy tank :rofl:

On the PNWMAS site there is a sub 1 gallon tank contest and I'm doing a vase for some sexy shrimp, anemony crabs, shrimp and mini maxi's. I love the symbiotic relationship they share.

I have heard that the sexy shrimp will eat zoo's so don't throw in the expencive ones :doh:

Right on I'm also building a little sexy tank :rofl:

On the PNWMAS site there is a sub 1 gallon tank contest and I'm doing a vase for some sexy shrimp, anemony crabs, shrimp and mini maxi's. I love the symbiotic relationship they share.

I have heard that the sexy shrimp will eat zoo's so don't throw in the expencive ones :doh:

Very cool I might be following your stock list. I have also heard they eat zoos, but if you keep them well fed. They should be fine. Ill just throw in some cheap ones in. Thanks for the heads up. Let the sexy wars begin :)

Very cool I might be following your stock list. I have also heard they eat zoos, but if you keep them well fed. They should be fine. Ill just throw in some cheap ones in. Thanks for the heads up. Let the sexy wars begin :)

Cool, looking forward to your build. I should probably start a thread myself. :)

Alright so filled this litle guy up with water from my main tank,actually everything is from my main tank live rock,live sand,corals.

I threw some palys,gsp,and a monti cap in looks god so far =)

20120628_133016.jpg

20120628_133012.jpg

20120628_133004.jpg

What do you think of the rock work?
20120628_132851.jpg

20120628_084520.jpg

Very nice start :) What kind of lights are you using, kinda hard to see with them on LOL. I like the idea for the canopy simple and effective.

EBay gu10 3x1 watt leds. Lol I need to hide the canopy wires a little bit. I made the canopy out of my nephews plastic tool box . Which worked out great
I am planning to incorporate a sump somehow this weekend. That heater is really ugly.

Thanks for the kind words

A little update, since there wasn't really much of a cycle, I threw some fallen sps,some flame algae,and finger leather.
Moved the heater to the corner, so It doesn't look like its taking up so much space lol
Also added another blue gu10 bulb, so I have 2 blues 2 whites, color looks crisp now =)

20120701_161515.jpg

FTS 7-1-12

20120701_161502.jpg

Lookin' good. How do you wire up those gu10's? what are you using for power and did you mod a fixture or build from scratch?

Alright for power supply I used a normal house hold extension cord. I then wired up the sockets to the the extension cord in parallel. I use a few on my main tank they work out great.
Also the fixture I have on there is actually a childs plastic toolbox lol, So I modded a plastic toobox to make it look like a hood, fits perfectly =)
Heres a first try at drawing up a wiring diagram lol
skills.png

let me know if you have anymore questions, Do you want ebay links?

Dude, you made that look too easy and maybe not safe, LMAO. So you have nothing controlling the flow of electricity? And yes, I would love the ebay link. I saw some that were RGB controllable too which would be awesome since I am only going to have a FOWLER in Hawaii.

Back