Rowaphos & sps stn

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seismic

Balaenoptera musculus
Hi,

There is a talk among reefers here that overzealous usage of rowaphos can also contribute to sps' to stn.

How true is this ?

Why is that ? Reducing the phospate too quickly is detrimental to the sps'?

Why is that ? Reducing the phospate too quickly is detrimental to the sps'?

There are a few different claims and I dont really know which one is true but Ive read It causes.

Alk dips
Alk spikes
Ph dips
Ph spikes
P dips
Excess iron release

I'm sure there are other claims but one thing for sure is GFO's are a product that the user needs to work up to. I'm sure boomer could give a real answer to this one.

Don

TamarindThai had a bad experience with Rowaphos killing many of his SPS.

I've read that it can cause alkalinity dips and also that the too rapid stripping out of phosphate can be too much of a shock to SPS. So the advice is to go very slow with it and build up gradually. I don't use it, myself.

It is true if you strip too much phosphate from the water SPS corals will suffer. In the average aquarium it is quite rare for this to happen. But with the very clean SPS tanks in combination with a powerful phosphate eliminator it can sometimes happen. All animals need some phosphate. Also most SPS corals are quite sensitive to sudden changes in water chemistry even if it's towards what we would consider good ranges. It's very seldom, if ever that good things happen rapidly in the reef.

Regards,
Kevin

TamarindThai had a bad experience with Rowaphos killing many of his SPS.

I've read that it can cause alkalinity dips and also that the too rapid stripping out of phosphate can be too much of a shock to SPS. So the advice is to go very slow with it and build up gradually. I don't use it, myself.

yes, for sure ,,,,,i lost afew colony specialy alll my tri color,:evil::evil::evil:
this is what 's going on:

Originally Posted by tamarindthai
missed leading on label ,,said donot rinse before used,,,may the Rowaphos usa should replace for RP that i throught was bad for my tank,,that i thrown them away it quite expensive for me.
thanks
dang

Last edited:
Yes rapid reduction in P can hurt any coral/clam/algae in your tank. But from investigating this problem it seems to be more of a chemistry issue. The use of a oversized dose of any P remover ends up creating a sudden overnight decrease in your PH. It usually recovers by morning but the effect has been shown to have lasting effects that can get the ball rolling to where total decline is going to happen. As with all things reef, its better to slowing ween your system into new things

Mike

Yes rapid reduction in P can hurt any coral/clam/algae in your tank. But from investigating this problem it seems to be more of a chemistry issue. The use of a oversized dose of any P remover ends up creating a sudden overnight decrease in your PH. It usually recovers by morning but the effect has been shown to have lasting effects that can get the ball rolling to where total decline is going to happen. As with all things reef, its better to slowing ween your system into new things
Who and the heck was that Mojoreef guy?

:lol:
:shock:
:D
;)
:p

Hi Mike nice to see you my friend!

Best regards,
Kevin

Back