Royal Gramma under seige

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

acemart

Just added a Royal Gramma to my 180. My Hippo Tang has taken exception to its presence -- every time the Gramma comes out of the rocks the tang gives serious chase and then the Gramma disappears for a day or two again. Other tankmates are a Black/White Percula Clown, 3 Bartletts Anthias, Banggai Cardinal, 2 BG Chromis, and a Majestic Angel.

Up to this point, I have had total compatibility. Do you think this will be a long term problem? Ideas?

Thanks

If you cant catch it, you might want to just wait it out. Either that, or try to rearange your tank.

good luck
-augustus

Where does the tang bed down relative to where the gramma is hold up?

Pretty common behavior for a Regal tangs. They almost always object to new comers. Especially when they're smaller, they almost seem to enjoy being a bully.

In any event, it will subside in a day or two. Once the tang realizes the gramma is no threat, it will stop racing towards it. The tang might swipe at it once in a while but it should be okay in the long run. As long as the gramma has a hiding place, it will be just fine. Monitor it to be sure it's eating.

Just a quick update. Had not seen the gramma for almost 2 weeks and I thought it was a goner. Much to my surprose, my wife spotted him in a little hiding place behind a large stack of LR. It has a place that it does not stray too far from, but is able to feed since I have good flow in the tank. Each day, it ventures just a little bit further out, but is watchful for the tang, which right now seems to have lost interest in the gramma.

The gramma's still a little skidish but the wary behavior is actually common for this species. They will commonly hover and always seem to be "on the look out". In the wild they are found in lower areas near/around reef cliffs and hide/dart in and out of crevaces and such. They aren't an open water fish as a rule and are often quite guarded keeping close to protected areas. In a tank without any boisterous tank mates, they often overcome that behavior to some degree.

Back