Royal Gramma

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My Gramma is an Ideal fish. He plays nice with others, and doesn't bother the inverts at all. Just my experience.

I am not sure, the one i had was kind of a freak, it was fine for a couple of weeks, then it disappeared for a day and i found it dead in the rocks.. it did have some battle scars on it, and i had seen it startin sh_t with my gold striped maroon clowns, maybe my female of the pair whooped on it, not sure... I am still undecided if i am going to get another one or not...J

They are cool fish to have. I've heard that they hide a lot and can't or shouldn't be kept in the same tank as another one. Other than that, they are awesome fish IMO. I see them all the time around the reefs

Someone told me once that even though they are mellow, they do get territorial at times, and told me that they would not be a good tankmate for my mandarin for that reason. They are from the pseudochromis family I think. I really wanted to get one but for me its all about the mandarin.

Kensn said:
My Gramma is an Ideal fish. He plays nice with others, and doesn't bother the inverts at all. Just my experience.

Ditto. I've had mine for awhile and has done well with the other tankmates. It gets in these matches with the coral beauty, I think its because of similar coloration. Nothing serious though, just showing off colors and fin flashing, no nipping.

Territorial? Yeah - either that or her 10-ton personality showing through. Mine happens to be quite aggressive when not hiding. Quite a pig at feeding time too. We were starting to get perturbed...
BTW, she has mellowed out since getting ill.
Just my experience.

hey i just wanted to add that there's a fish that looks almost as the royal gramma which is the bi color pseudochromis which looks almost the same, those are very very agressive.
Anyways i hope that if you get your fish everything goes fine :)

Mine is quite territorial, but it's harmless. It charges other fish with its mouth wide open, but the other fish just ignore it. I've never seen him nip or bite, just charge, and no one takes the poor little thing seriously at all!

LarryB said:
Someone told me once that even though they are mellow, they do get territorial at times, and told me that they would not be a good tankmate for my mandarin for that reason. They are from the pseudochromis family I think. I really wanted to get one but for me its all about the mandarin.

Mine is a little territorial, but so are my clowns, chromis, and most fish. I have never seen my Gramma mess with my Mandarin. The gramma is not an open water swimmer like the chromis or tang, but does come out often.

Gramma in my experince have all been model fish.
Also the fish store has one that is different than others I have seen.
Normal bright yellow but a totally faded almost to white pink. It really looks cool.

Back