Running an exterior pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seattlereef

I'm considering buying an exterior pump to run my return however I really don't feel like drilling my sump will this setup work?

ExtPump.png

Here is my current setup

PumpExisting.png

I imagine its not going to be as efficent as drilling the tank however to do that I need to drain the entire thing, get a glass hole saw, drill and then put everything back together.... Which is possible but I'm lazy. I would rather just glue some PVC together.

Thanks!

yes it will work. you will loose pressure. try it if you dont like it you can drill later.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Thanks I figured so however a little concerned about it being primed and being able to draw in the water on startup.

Yea Priming is going to be a bit of a pain for sure. Whats stopping you from drilling??

you can use a siphon pump like on the cpr overflows. that will get the flow going and if the power goes out get it started again.

Thanks! Hmm sounds like this may be easier if I just drilled the tank. The only reason I was trying to avoid it right now was the need to break down the sump so that I can drill it.

Looks like a canister filter or one of the lifeguard system of external modules. Other than my distrust of "submersed/external" branded pumps (I never trusted the Mag pumps to go external...) you should be fine. For priming you will need to pour water down the spray bar (or a cap on either side) and the start the pump. If the pump is below the water level it should restart just fine.

To the extent this is a "closed loop" I am becoming convinced that the fan type powerhead is more efficient for water movement than the impeller style pumps.

Hello,

The work you put in now by draining, drilling, and reset up will be well worth it and best of all, then its a done deal:) If you could see both set ups next to each other running it would be a easy choice.

I am with Spinner on this one

My I be blunt??? Get off your lazy butt and do it right! It will take a WHOLE afternoon,

I agree, that this is one more step to making a bullet proof system.
By eliminating as many as the potentual problem areas as you can, will lead to less stress down the line.

Some of the external pumps will destroy themselves if you run them without being primed. Just drill the sump and in the end you can always plug it back up if you want. You can add a valve after the exit port from the sump to the pump so you can cut off flow and remove the pump if needed.

You would be much happier in the longrun if you just drilled. Heres a pic of mine, i put a valve on the inlet and the outlet of the pump for if i need to replace it or clean it. Most people will say the ball valves are crap and to use gate valves, this is true, imo, if your opening and closing the valves all the time. I run mine wide open and never had to mess with them, so tjey havent leaked.

Other than my distrust of "submersed/external" branded pumps (I never trusted the Mag pumps to go external...)

What don't you trust? I have ran mag 18's and mag 9.5 external for years. The produce lots of heat is why i prefer to run them that way and not submreged....aslo quieter external.

Back