?s on a little urchin

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

legion

i got this little guy from the lfs i was told he would help clean up alge in my tank i have had him 1 day he dont move very quick but i can see where he has been because he scrapes everything off the LR (i mean leaves a white path of bare rock) im tryin to get my coraline back (i had a real bad hair alge problem) he is about 1 in wide short spined with a white body with faint green vert.stripes i have not been able to find pics n-e where can n-e-1 tell me what kind he is and if he will in fact eat alge or carve paths in my coraline and is he safe with anenomes and corals?

Urchins will spread corraline like crazy. The little bit they consume is nothing like the amount that they will spread to the rest of your tank.

may i ask how they "spread" it

They eat it and spread the spores. You do need to be careful as they get larger. They will consume it faster than it grows and will move on to coral new growth tips especially monit caps.

Don

Some people have claimed that the spores from the corraline are not digested, and are "passed through". I don't know about that. I suspect that the major spreading occurs because they are not very efficient eaters. They spill a lot when they scrape.

I have two urchins in my tank, and the rocks (as well as the sides of the tank) have more than enough corraline.

You do need to be careful as they get larger. They will consume it faster than it grows and will move on to coral new growth tips especially monit caps.

Don

That has never been my experience. I have given away more M. cap since having the two urchins than the total amount of other coral in my tank.

i am thankful for all info can any one give me a idea what kind it is i have been lookin online for a pic cant find one its white with green strips (vert.) with short spines ive seen pics of "green urchin" but am not satified if its not too hard to add a pic ill add one tomm.

That has never been my experience. I have given away more M. cap since having the two urchins than the total amount of other coral in my tank.

Have you ever had a 5" (body not spines) long spine urchin?:D

Don

I got rid of all my urchins because they kept knocking corals and rocks over.

Have you ever had a 5" (body not spines) long spine urchin?:D

Don

No. My longspines are only about 2" across the body. With the spines extending to about 8" total diameter (for mine), I can't imagine how large a tank would be required for a long-spine with a 5" body just so the urchin could move around.

By the way - how long did you have the urchin for it to get that large? I have had mine for 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:
will it eat anonomes or soft corals?
also im about to try my hand at soft corals i heard they are good for beginners (wadda u guys think) ive got my paramaters in line but mt lfs wants outragious amounts for corals (they say they are hard to keep in the store so they got to make-up for the 2\3 die off rate) nothing under $80.00 and they wont break off a 1-2 inch hunk to sale me would n-e-1 be willing to donate a small hunk of a easy breed (or a few breeds) that i can try my hand at
i the price is real good i would be more than happy to pay for them (i really dont expect a hand out although it would help) but you gotta be willing to ship tp P.A

No. My longspines are only about 2" across the body. With the spines extending to about 8" total diameter (for mine), I can't imagine how large a tank would be required for a long-spine with a 5" body just so the urchin could move around.

By the way - how long did you have the urchin for it to get that large? I have had mine for 3 or 4 years.

I got him at 3" and just got rid of him at 5" but I had him for two years. Ive got 3" that Ive also had 2 years got him at 1". Hes also looking for a new home. He can eat a 1/4 x 2" section of monticap in one night, so time to find a new house.
He'd do great if a FO tank if anyone know's some looking for one.

Don

Back