Safely Running Ozone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

plaz

Hi,
We have a large reef tank with 6 bulkheads in the BOTTOM of the tank for a closed loop. Would like to run ozone, but I am really scared about damaging those bulkheads in the tank (200 gallons of saltwater on the floor would not be good)!

We are planning to use a small amount of ozone (Sanders 50 mg) with a controller and run the ozone into a reactor - and then through a lifegard filter module of carbon. Is there any way this will start (even slowly) to break down the rubber gaskets in the tank? Is there anything else we can do to make it even safer for the tank inhabitants and the gaskets?

Thanks in advance!

PS I heard through RC that Mike and Boomer are the ozone experts!

Well I dont know about an expert, but I have used it for a while. What kind f reactor are you running it through?? Skimmer is usually the best place to put it. As long as you run the effluent from the skimmer/reactor through a carbon source you should not have any residual ozone in the tank. Couple other things to make sure you look at is that the air entering the reactor/skimmer is dry and that you vent the ozone in the air from this unit outside or use a carbon filter for it to.

Mike

Back