Sail Fin Tang or no?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

We were just at the LFS and they had several small (2") Sail Fin Tangs. Now I know we will need a large tank to support one of these but that will be happening within a few months (180-210 gal). Our question is are these reef safe? I have read several reports and they seem to vary. Some say they will nip at or actually eat LPS and low growing softies (Zoa's?). We have plenty of both of these corals as well as several SPS. Anyone have any input on yes or no for this fish?

Probably what the people are seeing is that the fish is nipping at algae that is around the corals.

I don’t have any personal experience but I just got one today so I will let you know if I see anything like that.

I have a large one and have had him for a couple years. He doesn't nip at anything (I have SPS, LPS and softies) except algae.

I haven't had any problems with mine. I have seen him graze the algae around corals but never seen him eat any corals. Great fish. comes up to greet me and always willing to eat out of my hand.

I haven't had any problems with mine. I have seen him graze the algae around corals but never seen him eat any corals. Great fish. comes up to greet me and always willing to eat out of my hand.

Had one for years and then one day he decided he had a taste for Xenia's. Wipe out an entire large colony in two days

Cool. Thanks for all the input. In this case we will probably pick one up. Cute little guys... :)

sailfins are one of my fav fish....they are so animated with thier fins. I love to watch them. cant wait till I can have one too

If you haven't got one picked out already look at the Zebrasoma desjardinii. They are a little higher in price, but worth it IMO.

I have a purple tang, which is in the same family, and he just recently got the taste for zoas and palys. I dropped a frag in my tank and he went right over grabbed a polyp in his mouth and ripped it off. I know that most of the time they are in fact picking the algea out from around them. Just be careful because if people say they nip at corals like that they may not do it for years and then one day just decide to try something new. I love those tangs and for me I would get one but just monitor it closely. Also if you feed them daily instead of every other day they should stay full enough to not bother your corals. I was going to get rid of my purple tang but I tried to just feed him every day instead and so far so good. He hasn't nipped at any other corals that I am aware of. Good luck either way you decide!

Any Tang can possibly become a risk. Awhile back, I had a Lavender Tang, which I really liked, develop an appetite for Acans. Tangs are a "grazing" fish and need to be able to eat, whenever they want, throughout the day. Otherwise, they may take a liking to corals. If you don't have a natural source of algae growing in your tank, they'll need to be fed multiple times a day, with an algae clip.

Tangs are also animals that need a lot of room to swim. Along with the size that these guys get, a large tank is necessary, even at a smaller size, to allow them the room to swim. I often wonder if my tank, which is a 200 Deep Dimension, is large enough, since it's 4' long. But with the 3' front to back, giving them 12 square feet, I'm comfortable with Tangs in there. Otherwise, I'd suggest they always be in a 6' tank. Sounds like you'll be upgrading to a 6' tank soon. Sailfins are amazing Tangs. Be careful, adding one now, if you ever plan to add more Tangs later. Sailfins are among the most aggressive, along with Powder Blues, Clown Tangs, Purple Tangs and Achilles. You may have better luck, if you ever plan to have more Tangs, to add the lesser aggressive types first.

I say buy it and give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, Sailfins are generally easy to sell.

I have one thats about 12" now... he is on the short list of the mystery fish that has made a few colonies of zoas disappear. Its amazing how small he can make a 10' tank seem small.

I have a Desjardini Sailfin and love that fish. They have really striking patterns and that huge dorsal fin look simply awesome whenever they display it. A very mellow fish too. You will need a big tank though and lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of nori. I put 4-5 quarter sheets a day in the tank and between the sailfin, yellow tang, and foxface that stuff is gone in minutes.

Mike

These are peaceful fish when young but they get big and after a while they will eat first no matter what. You have a lot of tangs in that tank, in time you'll need to find a new home for them or get that big tank your talking about, go as big as you can! :D

Back