salifert calcium test

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spieszak

does anyone know how many ml 8 drops of the first liquid reagent is? For the life of me iI can't get 8 drops. The container is too solid for me to accurately 'squeeze', and if i don't squeeze it won't drop... i have plenty of syringes around i could use, but without being able to get 8 accurate drops, I can't measure how much 8 accurate drops are..
i'm losing my mind trying to get what feels like an accurate calcium number with anything but my api kit, and I don't really think its that accurate. tried the hanna checker, numbers are terribly inconsistent even on back to back tests.

Oh, and just as a follow up... no rush to get to this. The tank believes it happy, and iI'm not going to tell it any different.. so, if you wouldn't mind just doing it the next time you plan on testing, that would likely be soon enough....I was using the api number before iI switched to two part, its accurate enough to know things will be 'ok'.. I'd just like to be a little more confident in the number.. and losing my mind isn't really that big a deal, its mostly gone as it is anyway. :)

I was wondering if maybe the bottle was empty. I have never had a problem with mine dripping with very light pressure.

I think its the opposite of that. It seems to be a little easier now that the bottle isn't as full... I still can't get eight drops consistently though. I can get three, then maybe a half, then what might be a drop and a half... Maybe its being a chick or having 'weak hands.' Google search seems to say I'm not the only one to ever have the problem. I see one person noting that 8 drops is .2ml which seems too much to me, but I can't verify because I can't get 8 drops... also see one that notes that "it doesn't matter", which doesn't seem to make sense. If it said that you should "over use" if you aren't sure about a drop, I could kind of see that making sense if its used to precip things out.. but even at that, if your numbers are high, it wouldn't necessarily work...

Just squeeze out two drops and then hold the bottle upright to get air again, and repeat until you have eight drops.

Just squeeze out two drops and then hold the bottle upright to get air again, and repeat until you have eight drops.
Well, that kind of works. Two issues, first, it doesn't really get any easier to get a drop if I stop and turn it upright in between... that was one of the first things I tried. I'm assuming that means its my' squeeze strength', not lack of air in the bottle. When I get home though, I will try it again though. I also think I'll try removing the lid and putting it back on, just in case the bottle lost too much air in shipping. Second thing, do I count that first drip/splash/drop that happens when I turn the bottle over (even if I do it slowly, I tend to get a splash) I've been letting that splash drip thing fall on a paper towel, since as far as I can see, its not a "drop"

Hmm, well I've never had trouble with the bottle, but I turn the bottle over and let the first partial drop drip on a paper towel.

Okay I measured it and it is .83 ml

Back