Salt query

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefbound

Im on my last bucket of Oceanic salt and I was wondering if Tropic marin was worth the xtra cash? I usually buy four buckets of Oceanic at a time but at 65 bux a bucket I would get three this time round if its worth the money. I have been using Oceanic for two years and the only problem I have noticed is alk was always low . Im wondering if marin is any different.I also have tried instant ocean reef crystals with some really poor results on the calcium side. Anyone using Tropic Marin? :D

I don't think there really is the perfect salt. Topic Marin is good, but might be lacking in something the others don't. Personally I think it matters what your using you're going to have to buffer something in fresh salt mixes. It's either going to be low on CA or ALK or MG etc. If Oceanic is working for you and if it where me I'd stick with it. I use IO simple because I've read and heard it's one of the most consist salt out there from bucket to bucket and for me that's important, simple because I know what to expect.

I have been using Reef Crystals for a while now and have been very happy with water quality.

I may do some research on the Red Sea salt made for RO water. I do not remember what it is called.

DB

Have you all seen the "real ocean water??" Hehe, thats the best...(oh wait, I just admitted I was in petco...)

Tropic marin is good salt but for the money I.O works good, anything is better than that Oceanic salt:eek:

Ive been using Oceanic for two years and the only issue I have is the consistant low alk... I have not had the algae problems that others have had,The calcium has been a constant 450.

I have been using Reef Crystals for a while now and have been very happy with water quality.

I may do some research on the Red Sea salt made for RO water. I do not remember what it is called.

DB

I didnt like IO RC I had low calcium with every mix so I went back to Oceanic.

Have you all seen the "real ocean water??" Hehe, thats the best...(oh wait, I just admitted I was in petco...)

:eek::badgrin:

We used Tropic Marin for a while and my only complaint was the availability on-line and/or cost locally.

We recently switched to Seachem Reef Salt and it is really standing up very well IMO.

Also, we buy salt from Live Aquaria (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/NavResults.cfm?N=2004+113009&ref=3969&subref=AA&cm_mmc=LiveAquaria_DFS_Links-_-Fish_Supplies-_-LiveAquaria_Gen_Page-_-Salt_Mixes) because they offer flat rate $9.99 shipping for salt buckets and I think it's $1 more shipping for each bucket of salt you order (4 buckets = $13.99 shipping)...generally shows up in 6 or 7 days.

i use TMP reef,

IMO if its not broke dont fix it...

altho i think tropic Marin ROcks..

Ive been using Oceanic for two years and the only issue I have is the consistant low alk... I have not had the algae problems that others have had,The calcium has been a constant 450.

I didnt like IO RC I had low calcium with every mix so I went back to Oceanic.

:eek::badgrin:

Yeah i have to agree with the calcium problem it runs about 350 sometimes out of the bag,but thats why i use a calcium reactor.

Back