Sand Crushed Coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Osama

I bought this sand off FB as I needed to top off my fine sand with some larger particle sand. It looks good but the seller did not know if the sand was used in a medicated tank. I bought over 200lbs and I like it.
How can I check that it is OK to use in my 500g reef DT

You might try a copper test kit. Can you find out if the sand came from a Reef Tank or a Fish Only tank? If it came from a fish only tank I would assume that medication has been used at some point. With reef tanks most are apt to use hospital tanks.

I agree with you NanaReefer but the seller is a University student doing this as a " favor-project" for the school. Not sure exactly of what he was doing and how the sand got to the school...

I would put it in a bucket & rinse thoroughly with a hose. Then I would put it in saltwater from a water change with charcoal filter. Only add a little at a time to tank. Many of the medications that are not reef safe will stain the sand.

I would put it in a bucket & rinse thoroughly with a hose. Then I would put it in saltwater from a water change with charcoal filter. Only add a little at a time to tank. Many of the medications that are not reef safe will stain the sand.

Thanks Blue Lip appreciate all ideas proposed here

Thanks Blue Lip appreciate all ideas proposed here

Actually the crushed coral turned out to be OK. Used one of the three buckets I bought and have it in the DT for a couple of month with no issue and thanks

Back