Sand has turned to cement!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jezzeaepi

So I am having a slight problem with my sand. In many areas the sand has fused together to form solid chunks. I can sort of half ass go through and break the chunks back down, but im sure im killing all sorts of microfauna and stirring up crud that way. What should I do? The tank has been set up for about 3 motnhs now.

Without a proper sand crew your SSB or DSB will solidify and not do its job. You need to either stir it with a turkey baster, siphon it during WC's, get a sind sifting goby, a sand sifting star, a butt load of nassarius snails. Which probably isnt going to be very comfortable. or a combination of like things. For my SSB I purchased a half dozen nassarius snails, a sand sifting diamond goby and havent had to worry since.

Hmm the snails sound like a good idea! but I think Ill have them put the snails in a bag instead =P

I would also suggest a bag. It would prob take a while to acclimate them after his method.:badgrin::p

i've been plagued with high calcuim levels...like 500-600, probably because I made my own rock (oyster shell and portland concrete) but I have never had a problem with the sand like you are...I do have a convict goby (sand sifter)

I had the same problem. My alk and calcium levels were not stable at the time and the sand turned to rock and the pumps bound up with calcium deposits. After I got the alk and calcium to stabilize the problem went away. Just my experience, for what its worth.

Quite a few people have had problems with Salifert Alk and Ca tests not being accurate, like showing inflated levels. And the longer the test kit's been open, the more drift it is likely to show. This is anecdotal stuff I've read from other people. I've experience a couple of really "off" Salifert Alk test kits but haven't run into it with their Ca test.

-Don
I dose about a gallon in a half kalk over the day, and use a calc reactor for the rest. My alk stays at 11.5-12, and my calc right around 415-425.

-Jan
Lately have been hearing things about salifrert too. Ill double check it with the elos one I have around here somewhere

I think Ill try to break up as much as I can by hand and add the snails and see how much that helps.

-Don
I dose about a gallon in a half kalk over the day, and use a calc reactor for the rest. My alk stays at 11.5-12, and my calc right around 415-425.

-Jan
Lately have been hearing things about salifrert too. Ill double check it with the elos one I have around here somewhere

I think Ill try to break up as much as I can by hand and add the snails and see how much that helps.

It precip either due to high ph or low ph. My guess is the kalk/high ph. How are you dosing it?

Don

My ph runs in the low end due to indoor co2 and the calc reactor. It's usually between 7.95 and 8.15. I dose the kalk via a aqua doser for one minute every 10 minutes

I've also had this happen to me. I drip clear kalkwasser via peristaltic pump. Had problems with precipitation on impeller shafts and pumps seizing up etc. No calcium reactor, two part diy once a day.

Some statements over at rc mentioned that it was a given with kalk, but I don't know why.

I didn't have any sand bed stirrers either. there's a possibility that I had low ph a few times though. Which is one reason I drip kalk.

Anyone know why this happens?

Last edited:
Back