Sand Recommendation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jmj

I am setting up a new 150 and wanted recommendations on sand. I am looking for 1" and I will put the DSB in the fuge. It doesn't look like SouthDown is available anymore. Is there another brand available at lowes/HD? I am in the Seattle area. If not, i will purchase from the local fish store -- any recommendations for brand of sand? I am looking for white.

I currently have a 75 and used a large grained aragonite (almost like crushed rock) and have always had nitrate trouble so I don't want to reuse that sand.

thanks

When I had sand, I use to use Fiji Pink. Loved the grain...Crushed corals do tend to cause a nitrate spike. I'm bb now, but that is just a personal preference. As for where you can get some sand from in Seattle...Not sure:)

Bare Bottom

krish75 said:
When I had sand, I use to use Fiji Pink. Loved the grain...Crushed corals do tend to cause a nitrate spike. I'm bb now, but that is just a personal preference. As for where you can get some sand from in Seattle...Not sure:)

Krish,

How do you like your BB? I am setting up a 110 and am considering going BB. I hear lots of folks saying BB does not look natural. I personally feel it will be easier to keep good water quality with a BB setup. Easier to clean also.

What I am going to do is have a spray bar with holes an inch apart run the length of the tank along the bottom back seam and it will push detritus and junk out from under the LR. Do you have any close up pics of your BB.

LOL my wife just came in and was looking over my shoulder and not knowing anything about our lingo thought I was asking about your Bum... OMG that is toooooooooooo funny. :badgrin:

I like my bb tanks. They bottom turns rapidly purple with coraline algae, so it looks pretty cool. They stay alot cleaner, easier for me. Just my experince.

Krish,

How do you like your BB? I am setting up a 110 and am considering going BB. I hear lots of folks saying BB does not look natural. I personally feel it will be easier to keep good water quality with a BB setup. Easier to clean also.

What I am going to do is have a spray bar with holes an inch apart run the length of the tank along the bottom back seam and it will push detritus and junk out from under the LR. Do you have any close up pics of your BB.

LOL my wife just came in and was looking over my shoulder and not knowing anything about our lingo thought I was asking about your Bum... OMG that is toooooooooooo funny

LMAO! That's funny:lol:

Yeah I love my BB:p Infact Steve (the poster above me Wrightme43) is the one who turned me on to it. Here is a link to how I set up my bb. I put down a white bottom that gives it a more natural look rather than just bare glass. I keep updating pictures on it so you will have to scan through the thread a bit to see more recent pics and how it looks after a few months:) HTH

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12686

I believe SouthDown is now called Yardright. You might be able to find that at HD or Lowes.

Southdown is supposedly only found on the east coast.

if you're looking to save money use 80% dolemite(abuot .50-1.00 a pound) it's a natural buffer and is pure white. throw a fijipink aragalive bag or 2 on top of that and ur good.

For my bb, I put down a piece of black ABS plastic. I find the white to be too bright until the corralines grow on it. With my black background, having the black bottom, gives a really depth to the tank.

My original intent was to have the bottom slope forward. The back is about 1/2 inch higher then the front. My assumption was that gravity would help a little to get the 'stuff' pushed to the front where it could be easily siphoned off. I don't think it worked, but the abs looks really good.

For my bb, I put down a piece of black ABS plastic. I find the white to be too bright until the corralines grow on it. With my black background, having the black bottom, gives a really depth to the tank.

My original intent was to have the bottom slope forward. The back is about 1/2 inch higher then the front. My assumption was that gravity would help a little to get the 'stuff' pushed to the front where it could be easily siphoned off. I don't think it worked, but the abs looks really good.

I agree on the color only if you are using high gloss white, but with the flat white pvc board I used, you get no glare:)

krish75 said:
I agree on the color only if you are using high gloss white, but with the flat white pvc board I used, you get no glare:)

I'll try to post a pic tonight...it's really a very different look from the starboard. Half the reason I did it was to be different and not use the starboard. I think the results will speak for themselves.

Having said that, I do like the starboard, I just prefer the black. Like everything else in this crazy hobby, it all comes down to personal preference...see the no skimmer thread or any dsb vs. bb thread!

Sparks said:
Southdown is supposedly only found on the east coast.

if you're looking to save money use 80% dolemite(abuot .50-1.00 a pound) it's a natural buffer and is pure white. throw a fijipink aragalive bag or 2 on top of that and ur good.
where did you find dolemite in this area? .50 a pound is pretty good
are there any downsides to it, i've never heard of it before

Back