Sandsifters...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pitmam01

Blondie911
For some reason, I can not keep any kind of sandsifter (mostly gobies) in my tank for longer than a month. They either jump out the top or they just disappear. I have tried several different types to no avail. Anybody have any suggestions...............???

:confused:

do you hear any clicking in the tank when the lights go out? if you do, you might have a mantis in the tank.

How big is your tank? How many inches is your sandbed and how mature is the tank?

Since they are jumping out of the tank, I assume your tank does not have a canopy?

My tank does not have a canopy, but I do have two window screen over each port hole and have successfully kept an orange diamond goby for over 6 months. If you can get it to eat prepared food (ie, shrimp, krill, etc..), you increase your odds of keeping one. My is lucky. It is the only goby in a 375 gallon tank, and it eats anything I put in the tank.

What other fish do you have in the tank? I had a similar problem and it turned out being a bully fish chasing them out. Got rid of the bully, problem solved. My tank has no canopy or lids or screens on top and I have about 3 different goby's, sand shifter and no jumpers.

if you realy want sand shifters that won't jump out of your tank, try sea cucombers.

they might slowly climb out of the tank, but definately wont jump. :)

Back